Invisible Fence

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by niclibrarylady, Sep 17, 2015.

1. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

Hello we have just rescued a 7 month old chocolate lab . We have had her 3 weeks so a short time really she is our 3rd lab. our biggest problem with her ( She has a few Bless her) is that she keeps getting out of the garden. although we are surrounded by fields and our garden is an acre, but she just wants out!. Some one suggested an invisible fence . Does anyone have any thoughts? I need to keep her safe until we can nail the recall.

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Is it possible to improve the fencing around the garden? An acre is quite a large area, I would maybe partition off a smaller section and make it escape proof.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I agree with Heidrun's suggestion. When you mention invisible fencing are you referring to the type where cable is laid and the dog/cat has a transmitter on it's collar and gets zapped if it crosses the cable? I researched invisible fencing for my cats, pre dog days, for our house in France and gave them a very firm No.

4. niclibrarylady

Thanks for replying. we are still looking into it as I am not sure how they work. I will have a chat with the husband to see if we could section off a bit of garden. But I really wanted her to be able to have a good charge around:D

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Although the opportunity to run around in a large area is very appealing a smaller space may help with establishing a good recall and for training outdoors in general. Small space=less distraction or at least less opportunity to run off instead of recalling :D

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Years ago, my aunt and uncle had one of those fences for their dog. The dog didn't understand it and would crawl on its stomach towards the boundary, crying all the time. Horrible things, in my opinion.

I would do as the others suggest; for now, separate a smaller section of garden that you know she's safe in. She's not trying to "escape", it's just that the big wide world is more exciting than what's on offer at home. You could work on this by making it very rewarding to stay closer - lots of games and treats for proximity, etc, but that will take time and you need to keep her safe in the meantime.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You also need to consider what happens if she gets past the fence. For example, dogs have a very high pain threshold when aroused so if she set off in hot pursuit of a rabbit or similar, she'd easily blast straight across the fence with barely a flicker. And then? Well, when she does eventually choose to come home, she can't because her arousal levels will have dropped and she will register the pain as she approaches the house.

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi and welcome from us, Hattie 8 years and our rescue Labrador x Pointer Charlie. I totally agree with Rosemary and large open areas to run and run and not recall :eek:

Charlie came from a fosterer that had 12 acres including woods, unfortunately for us, she later told us much later she would open the door and let Charlie run wherever he wanted, consequently he had ZERO recall and it took us over 3 years to establish one and believe me it was one of the hardest things we have ever had to do :eek: I would really think hard about fencing off a small area to practise her recall and do some training. I had the use of a neighbours paddock to do Charlie's recall training which I am eternally grateful for.

Do you know her background? x

9. niclibrarylady

She has been given up because he last owner couldn't cope.They had very young Children and no time for a chocolate lab. She is very bouncy its like working with tigger. She is just lovely but has no manners. Just can't keep 4 paws on the floor when meeting people. I don't think she has ever been on a lead. or really out in open. she has been allowed to self reward. so she still doesn't look to me yet. even though i have a bag of yummy treats ( Liver Cake , sausage or chicken) I have her on a training lead in the garden so that she can be with us. but she is quick and this morning was out of the door before my husband could pick up the said lead. then she was off up the track. Luckily a friend pick her up ( my Heart was in my mouth).

Thank you for your support

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes I know what you mean, Charlie was allowed to self reward before we got him at 9 months and it's a truly difficult thing to sort out but it can be done with lots of training and oodles of commitment :) There are lots of threads on this forum discussing clicker training and BAT which would help you with getting her attention onto you. Clicker training would help with 4 paws on the ground and tons of other things. I don't know how to link them but someone will do that for you. I train both of these with Charlie with great success. Charlie was on a long line for 3 years to practise over and over his recall, it was relentless but it's the only way. Door dashing was another of Charlies 'issues' but again with practise he doesn't do it at all. I used to get friends, my children anyone to ring the door bell, I would get Charlie to sit give him yummy treats and open the door very slightly, if he moved I shut it and we just kept doing that and now the door can be wide open whilst I chat and he sits by my side. It sounds like your girl has landed in a happy place now and I am sure you will train her well. Ask anything you want as everyone wants to help :)

What's her name? x

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I forgot to say, I would strongly recommend you buy Pippa Mattinson's Total Recall, I found this invaluable with Charlie's recall, it gives step by step instructions including recalling your dog from people, other dogs etc. You can get it on Amazon and you can get your Acme whistle too!! x

12. niclibrarylady

Thank you So Much ! I know we have long way to go , and I know that I am asking a lot. after all she has only been with us for 2 1/2 weeks. aready she has come on in leaps and bounds. I also think that because onyx( is who is 9 ), is such a kind, gentle, calm boy we had forgotten i think what it would be like.

Her name is poppy.

I have had a discussion with my husband and we are going to make a bit of garden hers and onyx's, where we can train and do off lead stuff.
    Thanks again You have made me feel welcome , I was so nervous to post.:eek:

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi

I have a very large garden which was far too big to train my two when they were pups with far too many exciting things in it to go in, under, through, and out of sight when I wanted them to concentrate on me. I used sheep hurdles to section off a part of the garden. I basically made a massive pen with them. Still big enough for the dogs to run in but just me, them and grass which as it turns out can be quite interesting compared to me !!! Sheep hurdles aren't cheap being made from galvanised steel but they come in very handy. I now have the veg patch sheep hurdled off so the dogs can't get near it. You can also sell them on if you finish with them.

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 2 year old Harley
    I would definately look at buying total recall and happy puppy handbook as they have so many useful training tips

15. niclibrarylady

Book & Whistle Have been Bought :D

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Welcome to the forum, she sounds lovely..do you have any photos yet?

Two and a half weeks is really early, days in terms of rehoming and she is still a pupster too, so a way to go to bring her excitement threshold down. Are you doing much yet with training games inside the house? Indoors is a great place to start developing cues....recall, wait...puzzle games etc...These help with developing cues that when proofed indoors you can start working on in your secure area in the garden. Also helps with bonding and developing a little impulse control.
    We have a large garden, attached to farmland. It has been quite a challenge establishing boundaries for this reason, and I really wish I had worked harder at this when our chocolate lab was younger, as now he thinks he has right of way not only n our neighbours garden, but garage and house too! :)

17. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Our new dog Coco is at exactly the same point as Poppy. We have had him for 2 weeks tomorrow, he is 16 months, very bouncy and has difficulty focussing. He has come from a family with young children who had no time for training, and was surrendered after a relationship break-up. We have not let him off lead yet due to problems with recall, and he is not brilliant walking on a lead. It's a long road ahead, but it's so rewarding to make tiny improvements every day. We have made steps only this morning with focus - frankfurters are my best friend.

18. JohnG

JohnG Registered Users

As it's topical - there is a heart wrenching story in the book Think Dog about an invisible fence. A golden retriever was freaking out in his own bed, freezing, scared stiff, just not right at all. Turned out they had a door buzzer that made exactly the same type of "beep" as the warning that the collar gave out before a shock was coming. The end result was a dog scared stiff of being in his own home, they reckoned the phobia was so strong it was beyond rehabilitation and the poor dog had to be re homed. As soon as he was, it was like he was born again!

19. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I don't think anyone has made this comment yet - remember, the invisible fence will only keep her IN. If it works, some dogs are impervious to them. An invisible fence and some other kinds of fencing won't keep other dogs out. Here we have coyotes, the odd bear and memorably even a moose once. Smaller animals that could carry disease in as well. I bet you have at least other dogs, some roaming and maybe not nice dogs.

JohnG, that's a horrible story, poor dog. But why did he have to be re-homed? Could the owners not just disable the door bell?

20. niclibrarylady

The invisable fence idea has been shelved !!!! I think the way forward is a smallish area that is fenced off. so that we can work with her. Onyx's recall is fab so maybe she can also learn from him:rolleyes: .

Nic x
    Mum To Onyx ( 9) & Poppy ( 7 Months )