Involuntary rear leg kick

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Scaus86, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Scaus86

Scaus86 Registered Users

Hi,

I have a 20 month black male lab who has for as long as I can remember had a random rear back leg kick. It will kick out once and take him by surprise, so much so he will turn around like someone touched his leg.

It happens so randomly we haven't been able to catch it on camera but it tends to happen at night with no exercise or anything of note preceding it.

He goes for a jog with me every morning and has no troubles with his gait and no instances(that we've seen) during or after the jog.

We're off to the vet in two days to see what they think, just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this?

My fear is that its a mini seizure or a neurological issue :(

Thanks,
    Scott

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Scott, I can't help with information I'm afraid, but just wanted to say that I hope all goes well at the vet visit. I hope it is nothing serious. Let us know how you get on

3. Sandy H.

Sandy H. Registered Users

Hi Scott,

I am new to the list and this is an older post but I posted something similar to this yesterday. My lab is 15 months old and will either be standing or can be walking and will kick out a back leg. The kick last like one second, very quick. She has also shook her front leg 2 different times but the rest of the kicks have been back leg. She has been doing this from a young age although this summer the frequency increased greatly so that is why we went to the neurologist. This is not marking behavior that she is doing. The neurologist called it a paroxysmal limb contracture. We are not sure if it is a seizure or if my lab has an irritated peripheral nerve. She is a pretty normal otherwise. I do have a video of it. She always did it when we took her out to go to the bathroom but she mostly did it before going to the bathroom so it is not marking behavior although she does do that too. So we started videoing whenever we went out to the bathroom and we finally did get a video of it. Did you find out anything at the vet?

Sandy