Is my 5 month lab lazy or tired?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mars, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Mars

Mars Registered Users

Hi all
    My little lab is 5 months and in the last week or doesn't have much energy for walks. In the morning we go out and he's full of beans and has about 25 minutes of walking and running at the park at the end of my street. As soon as we take a step outside of the park he lies on the ground and I virtually have to bribe him with treats to get him home which takes another 20-30 minutes. Or, we wait for a more exciting dog to be in his line of sight to interest him. We go for a second walk around 4pm and make it about 100 meters (maybe!) before he lies on the ground and it takes me another 20 minutes to get him home.
    Is this unusual behaviour? I really expected that he'd be able to walk a bit more by now. Maybe he's putting all his energy into growing.
    Thoughts?

Simbabear likes this.
  2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there,

It could be that you are over exercising your puppy. Have a look at this article: exercising your puppy for an idea as to how much and what kind of exercise your puppy needs. Or it could be that your puppy has trained you to feed him treats by refusing to come home unless you do - is the refusal to move always when you turn in a homewards direction?

Mars likes this.
  3. Mars

Mars Registered Users

Thanks Pippa. I think that despite being in the park for only a little while, he probably goes a little too hard! I've tried shortening the time he spends chasing after other dogs and although he still doesn't want to leave the park, he walks home a little easier. Will see how we go with the afternoon stroll...