is the chewing over?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by caroleb, May 16, 2012.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

wasn't sure which section to put this in...

Rusty is now going on 17 months old and doesn't seem to be interested in chewing anything other than sticks these days. When he was 8 months old he did some substantial damage to my kitchen stools so I've spent the last 8 months sitting on gnawed plywood rather than padded leather! I'm really fed up with a numb bum but wonder if I dare replace them yet? I know the stated age is 2 years but as he hasn't done any further damage to those chairs since it's crossing my mind to risk it.

thoughts?

Carole

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: is the chewing over?

I thought Riley was over chewing......until I came home the other day to matchsticks instead of skirting boards - doh!!!!

Riley's only one though and a new kitchen is at least a year away. If you're unsure you could always get some foam and fabric and just pad them out a bit until you're ready to go for new.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`ve been lucky with Sam , he doesnt seem interested and neither does my little rescue terrier Flyn, but my old Lab Tess was a shocker until she was about 2 years old , I had to clear the decks when I left her, even for s very short time . I think I`d be inclined to do as Barbara suggests and patch them up, if you can !

4. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

How about compromise and just buy one, to start with, as a test...?

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

The trouble is, mistakes can be expensive. Some years ago, we left our young male lab, then about 20 months old, alone in our landrover for about twenty minutes. He hadn't chewed anything for several months.

When we returned, the front safety belts were gone. He had scoffed the lot. All that was left was two plastic stumps where the sockets that the metal clasp slots into had been. And the metal bits were on the floor. He had swallowed all the webbing fabric, and had the audacity to remain in perfectly good health afterwards.

So I would say, maybe wait a while? :D :D

Needless to say we use crates in all our vehicles now.

6. roundylabs

roundylabs Registered Users

My oldest Lab ate a kitchen bit by bit i didn't know about crates 12 yrs ago.
    She was around 2years old-ish before she stopped I'd wait a while and then go with the" buy one and see how it goes" advice ;)

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Nor me, in fact, I thoroughly disapproved when I first came across them. The very idea of putting a dog in a cage. ;D

I know people managed ok, I raised plenty of pups before crates, but can't think how I'd manage a pup without one now!

Pippa