Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

Fingers crossed Frankie , this sounds like a fab solution :)

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

fingers crossed! Although I do hope to get to meet Ezra on the post Christmas walk! :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, I hope this works out for all concerned.

4. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Unfortunately the gentleman who was interested in him has gone into hospital. And so won't be having Ezra. I took him back to the vets today for more metacam. She wants to keep him on it long term for he's bad legs, but also she is concerned that his cancer is still there in his nose because of some symptoms he has and his nose is bumpy. She basically said keep him on metacam so that whatever time he has left he is comfortable. So my husband and I were going to keep him as a long term foster as he is so settled here and he's no bother as he just curls up asleep in a tiny ball on the sofa. It all sounds lovely UNTIL
    We have just come home from the cinema to hear from outside the front door Ezra barking which was odd, went rushing in and he had Harry the cat cornered in the kitchen, Harry was covered in poo and had pooed all up the wall. I think Ezra was trying to play and Harry just had no escape route, but I haven't been able to examine Harry yet as he is literally covered in matts of poo (he's long haired!) and whines when I pick him up. My husband is just clearing up the floor and then we are going to give Harry a bath. Do you think dog shampoo will be ok for cats?! We had someone pop in to let them out for wees, and he said that when he left Harry was in the kitchen so I suspect he must have been cornered for about 45 mins as luckily we were home earlier than expected. Iv told them they need to make sure Harry is upstairs when they leave as we have a wooden board stopping the dogs from being able to get up there. Argh nightmare!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh Frankie - such a drama with the poor cat! I hope he's ok....

But it does seem like this is almost the only problem you haven't resolved - well done you. Perhaps Ezra really needs to be crate trained and in a crate when you are out or something like that? Then you know all the 4 legged ones will be safe?

6. Fwhitt246

It's so annoying Julie because I thought I had resolved it! Ezra has ignored the cat and walked past him loads in the last few weeks and they've both been fine. They've slept next to eachother on the sofa and everything. It's so annoying. Ezra went in a crate for a week when we first had him and was fine and then suddenly decided he hated it and wouldn't go in no matter what food I put in there! Also we are still going to be getting a black lab pup and she will he in the crate.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear, poor Harry!
    Hope he is okay. Do you think he has been "winding up" Ezra deliberately because you were out? I don't want that to sound anti-cat, but it kind of popped into my head.
    This is such a shame. Sort of surprised Harry wasn't able to escape Ezra's reaches. :(

8. Fwhitt246

I know it's wierd. Harry could have just run a tiny bit and jumped on the work top but didn't. Very wierd. It's wierd how he'd pooed everywhere. It must have been from fright? He has just had a bath which wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be and he's now licking himself dry. I am pretty sure Ezra was just trying to play with Harry, Harry must have just been really scared.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, poor Harry.

I know you've sorted so much, Frankie. Just Harry needs to be safe when you're out. Will he stay upstairs in a bedroom or something?

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh dear, that would not have been good to come home to.

I would also say that Ezra had play on his mind.... It is odd that Harry did not just seek a high spot...

Things don't always go according to plan when other people come into the equation, do they. But it does sound like, when you are in charge, things are going well. You've made such great progress.

Sorry to hear that the cancer might not be fully resolved :( Ezra does seem like a sweet dog...at least he has finally found some comfort and understanding in his life.

11. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone. Thinking about it, usually in the evening Harry goes out for a few hours (he doesn't have a cat flap so it's up to us to open door or window for him- he has a litter tray upstairs) and obviously because we were out ourselves he didn't go out. I suspect he want to go out to the loo. From now on if we go out in the evening we will put Harry out, and whenever we leave the house in the day make sure he is upstairs out of the way.

Apart from tonight, Ezra is so good with us and so settled. The vet kept commenting how much he dotes on me and doesn't take his eyes off of me. If he hasn't got much time left I want it to be with us where he feels safe. The only thing is we are still getting the puppy in jan so will just need to manage the situation. Tbh the puppy will be only in the kitchen to start with for housetraining and she will be crated when we are out so she won't be able to bug him. Will just see how it goes. The rescue are going to try and get his vet records sent over from Bucharest so that our vet can see what she's dealing with because unfortunately a lot is unknown. I am tempted to pay myself for a X-ray on his nose to see for sure. I know it wouldn't make a difference to anything but just so we know what bus happening . X

12. Oberon

That makes sense - Harry needed to go to the loo....

It is so lovely that you want to give Ezra a comfortable place. I think that things will be fine with a new puppy. Ezra has shown that he can play very well with and be calm around other dogs. He is probably quite experienced with other dogs (probably much more so than many of our pooches who have been pampered from Day 1!).

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Is it possible to have a cat flap, so that Harry can go out and come in at will?

14. Fwhitt246

The only way we could have a cat flap is by putting one in the glass of our back door, but we want to change the doors at some point in the near future so there's no point putting it in now when we will be changing it, but we can't afford to change them yet. Tbh he really doesn't spend that much time outside, compared to other cats I know.

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You are a very kind person Frankie. Ezra is very lucky to have found you. :)

16. Fwhitt246

Thanks guys. Iv just arrived in salcombe, didn't have the best journey as Ezra isn't used to being in our Audi and he panted for a good hour and a half and wouldn't lie down! Eventually he settled. To get to my dads house you have to walk down about 100 steps. A quarter of the way down Ezra completely freaked and wouldn't go any further, slipped his harness and ran and hid in a bush. I managed to coax him put and I then carried him down the rest. The house itself is upside down ish. So there are 2 beds and bathroom on ground floor then open plan kitchen living room on middle floor and then bedroom and ensuite on top floor. We let Ezra in the back door which goes straight into our bedroom (ideal as can easily let dogs in and out to courtyard and decking to sea without them being able to escape!) and shut the bedroom door to the rest of the house whilst we brought everything out of the car and down the steps. Anyway we've now opened the bedroom door into the hallway and Ezra won't follow us, he sits by the door shaking and is obviously petrified. Murphy is running around like a loon lol. Iv put Ezra's bed in the bedroom and he's now gone to sleep in it. Shall I just leave him to it and let him explore the house in his own time? I hate seeing him scared :( x

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh poor boy - yes, in his own time seems right. Perhaps he'll relax and feel safer, and a few scrummy treats will tempt him to explore later?

18. Fwhitt246

If he doesnt come out tonight should i feed him where he is?

19. Oberon

Yes, I'd just feed him where he is :) Let him go at his own pace. Maybe later you can tempt him to explore a bit, but don't worry too much if he just wants to retreat to his safe area.

20. Fwhitt246

I feel bad leaving him on his own downstairs whilst we are upstairs lol. I wonder whether when we have tea and food the smell might tempt him up. I have put the tv on in the bedroom so hes not totally alone. X