Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

Because of his past he probably is resource guarding, growling just means 'please go away'. If he has another one I would just leave him to it and not attempt to take it away.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure that was stressful. Hope you are feeling ok now that you have the chews.

This is my take on food and growling: I would never give anything edible that I intended to take away. Food is crucially important to all animals and the loss of food is a big disaster (in terms of how animals have evolved to view food), so they do everything they can to prevent the loss of food. Trying to take away food items is, to be perfectly honest, inviting the dog to have a round of fisticuffs.

Think about it this way - if you sat down to a nice meal and half way thorough it someone came and took it away you'd be quite surprised. Maybe you wouldn't say anything as you weren't prepared. At the next meal you sit down and halfway through the meal this person makes a move to take away your plate again - this time you are prepared and tell them to leave you alone! You try to hang onto your plate but they manage to get it from you anyway. On the third occasion you are determined to keep your plate. The plate-snatcher approaches and this time you loudly yell at them to get away. But they keep coming! They don't get it! What is wrong with them?? By this time you are so frustrated, cranky, and also scared....

That's how it is to your dog. They don't understand why their food would be taken away and, when they know it might happen, they want to prevent it.

So, put the rawhide chews in the bin, or leave them on the floor for the dogs to have when they want. But don't try to take them away when the dogs have them.

The use of a training approach to deal with resource guarding is not about having the dog able to tolerate having food being taken away. It's really about making the dog so confident that you won't take food away (you might even add some!!) they they don't mind you approaching them or even having hands close when they are eating. But those hands don't take. For a dog that is touchy about food resources (especially a dog that has probably been starved in the past) actually taking food away is totally counterproductive.

Yes, some dogs will certainly get to the point where they will happily swap a food item for a better item. But for dogs that have already learned to be wary and protective of their food, that is a looong way off at the end of a slow and careful programme of training.

3. Oberon

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Very insightful, good advice.

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, coming from someone who,has had to deal with this, I know how,upsetting it is. And I totally agree with you, Rachel, the idea is to get the dog to feel comfortable that you won't take his food away. It's tricky, though, as some times there is a necessity to take something away that might be dangerous to the dog. That's where the swap comes in.

6. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Thanks Rachael, i didnt think of it like that, i love my food and would take someones hand off if they tried to take mine so i understand completely. I think I was lulled into a false sense of security because I have taken stuff from him before and have regularly put my hands near his food bowl when hes been eating because I have forgotten to put his meds in or something. It just took me by surprise and with my sister getting funny about it happening too it stressed me out. Should I not take stuff off of murphy either then even though he has never been bothered about anything?

We are seeing the vet again next week to see whether his grumpiness is health related. If its not then we are going to move him to a different foster as I cant risk him being grumpy with Maisie or murphy really as he is so sensitive, and also my stress levels having him here arent great. We are going to salcombe again this weekend with the in laws (hmph) and I am now really worried about him nipping someones hand as we walk down the street, just because he did it last week in lymington. Luckily we are only going for 2 nights and also it is out of season so it wont be too busy. But I think at the moment I am keeping him out of guilt, i do really love him but its not right for our family for him to be with us but then i dont want to stress him out by moving him :( x

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, Frankie, you've done your very best for Ezra, don't feel guilty. You've done a wonderful thing, and it's good and honest you can assess the situation and come to the conclusion you have more than done your bit. Hopefully the rescue can find him somewhere else with people as kind as you and your family. :)

8. Oberon

You definitely should only feel proud of what you have achieved with Ezra. You've given him a wonderful head start into a new life that is worlds away from the awful existence he had. Everyone knows that it is far from easy, taking on a new dog with a difficult history, but you have done a marvellous job of it. I honestly think that you are now doing the right thing too, taking steps towards a new home for him (if I am reading things right). Don't worry about it being stressful for Ezra - when you think of what he must have experienced in his past a move to another foster home and/or to his final home will be very minor things indeed. Ultimately he will be happiest in a predictable, slow-paced kind of environment, and I am sure he will find a home just like that.

With Murphy, unless you can swap something he has with something else he likes I wouldn't get into a habit of taking food items from him. There always comes a time when our dogs get hold of something that we absolutely have to get off them (because it's dangerous or just something they shouldn't have) and you want him as chilled about that kind of situation as possible. I'd just work through all the steps in Pippa's article so you can get to the point where you can pick up his bowl, add food, and put it down again, with Murphy wagging his tail the whole time (because he knows he is getting more). Also, get him used to swapping things for really nice treats. Always make sure he ends up with the better deal :) Even though Murphy is very relaxed about this already, it won't hurt to embed it in his brain even more with a systematic approach. Don't get stressed about it though - you obviously have not experienced any problems with Murphy and I know you have a lot on your plate :)

9. Fwhitt246

Thanks guys.

To add to everything, yesterday my neighbour informed my husband that whenever left, Ez barks the house down for ages. I didn't realise this as when we get home he's always asleep. This obviously could be separation anxiety. After having an emotionally challenging day at work yesterday, and then being given that information , I took the decision to tell the rescue that he definately needs to be moved to a quieter home where he is left much less (not that I leave them loads to start with).
    The rescue out a plea out of Facebook saying this:
    Unfortunately Ezra is looking for a home. His fosters were contemplating keeping him on a permanent foster basis by he suffers from separation anxiety and although they have done an amazing job with him he just doesn't seem as settled as he would like. As Ezra is getting on a bit and been diagnosed with arthritis we are looking for a permanent foster and we will cover ongoing vet costs. I think ideally he would like to be the only pet and he's not fussed about walks, he just wants a comfy bed and lots of cuddles.

I have just woken up to a comment from a random woman saying this:

How is that age and other health problems that would make me more determined to keep this poor dog. What makes you think that passing it on will change it. There are many ways round whenever you leave it alone. He's not happy find out why. I thought as a foster home it's not only feeding, it's educating them for there next home . I hope you have a change of heart and help this dog by keeping him then after time he will settle. Have a heart.

This comment has made me so angry. I could cry. I did actually cry. I replied saying this:

Age and health problems were why I wanted to keep Ezra but you do not know my personal circumstances and you don't know Ezra. It breaks my heart that he has to move on and I have been determined to keep him up until now where I have had to make the decision that he would be happier in a quieter home. it would be purely selfish of me to keep him. You have no idea what I have done for him since we got him, he is a different dog, so please do not make assumptions when you do not know the facts.

Argh I am so unhappy :(

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Frankie, oh hugs. Facebook is a really strange place where people sometimes say odd, hurtful things. Maybe it's not strange, and it just reflects the rest of the world, and the forum bit of the internet is different.

What just happened is a complete stranger, who doesn't know you, doesn't know Ezra, decided to be critical without thinking of the impact she might have. It was a silly, thoughtless thing to say.

Put it out of your mind. You know it's not true. We know it's not true. Anyone who knows you knows it's not true.

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh you poor thing! I agree entirely with Julie, Facebook is such an odd, and terribly judgemental place, people seem to leave their senses behind when posting on there! Understandable why you feel so upset...I feel upset reading that because we have both been following your journey with Ezra, and have met him. You have achieved so much, and there are times where it has been incredibly hard, yet your compassion and thoughtfulness have always pulled you through.
    I only know a little of what you have been through with Casper, and we consider ourselves incredibly lucky, taking on a complex rescue is very tough, both emotionally and physically. You have literally had it all, yet at every step of the way have been so calm, caring and simply wonderful! Please don't let silly facebook comments upset you.

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Many hugs Frankie.

Please ignore them and continue to do the right thing, as you always have.

xxxx

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Please don't be upset, the woman was probably acting out of what she thought, were best interests for Ezra, but she didn't know the true facts. You have tried very hard with Ezra and you have his best interests at heart.

14. Oberon

There are over 6 billion people in the world and a small proportion of them are rude and thoughtless. Half of these are on Facebook!!! Take no notice of that armchair critic.

Your intention from the very start was to foster Ezra - until a permanent home could be found. You have done that and more. You HAVE done training with him - and given him heaps of new experiences. You've treated him like your own dog, even though he wasn't and you didn't have to.

It is perfectly reasonable to have trialled the idea of keeping Ezra and, having done so, decided against it. I truly think he will be best off in a quiet home with a heap of couch time and no other pets. You are doing what is best for him and you - it's better for you both.

If anyone else tries to guilt trip you over it they are nothing more or less than manipulative and thoughtless. I will contextualise that statement by saying that I've drunk half a bottle of red and now have a Chivas in hand. But I still stand by the statement. And, Chivas or not, one thing is true - you are a thoroughly decent, kind and generous person who has shown enormous compassion. You have nothing to prove to the self-satisfied know-it-all Facebook types.

15. Fwhitt246

Thank you so much everyone. I feel so much better now :) it made me doubt myself for a bit but now I know I am doing the right thing. Thank you :) xxx

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Frankie,I'm so sorry ,take no notice of someone who has no idea about the situation,we do and we know how much you have done and how you have agonized over Ezra.....big hug xxx

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Frankie, I just wanted to congratulate you and all you have done for lovely Ezra, you have shown him love and a new way to live that he would not have known if it weren't for you which is
    amazing :) People that have never rescued a dog have no right to judge you and it's so easy to be nasty from behind a keyboard, ignore them and don't even bother replying they are simply not worth it.

There are a few of us on the forum that have rescued dogs and we all know how difficult this is, the massive strain it can put on a family. I have had people in my village and friends tell me to give Charlie back to the rescue as we have done all we can. They have no idea how much they upset me :'( :'(

I am sure you are doing the right thing for Ezra and your family, he will be happier being an only dog with someone maybe retired that is at home to snuggle upto on the sofa. Don't let anyone make you doubt your decision as you have thought long and hard about it.

You are a lovely person Frankie so please be very proud of yourself :)

Sending you lots of big hugs {{{{xxxx}}}}

18. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

"Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes,
    Don't criticise another persons work until you have tried to do it yourself
    Don't judge another persons life until you have been forced to live it?"

From someone who does understand how difficult a decision this is.

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hugs to you, Frankie, just ignore the nasty FB lurkers who always seem to pop out at the most inopportune time and continue to do what is right for Ezra, as you always have. Here's hoping the right home will show up soon!

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hugs from me too Frankie.
    You have done your bit.
    A foster is just that. Please don't feel guilty for helping and caring for Ezra.
    FB needs to be kept at arms length. And you need to do what is right for you and your family.
    x