Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

You are a really kind and caring person, Don't let anyone tell you differently!

2. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Just a quick update (I am procrastinating so I don't have to get out of bed for work!). Had a tough week or so with Ezra. His growly grumpy behaviour seems to be getting worse, he snarled at my sister when she just made eye contact with him from across the room and the other day I left them with a kong each whilst we popped out and I had to run back in for something and found Ez going for murphy so murphy was screaming and Ez took his kong. I tried to remove both but Ez wouldn't let me take it. Murphy was obviously scared and as I had to leave, I got my friend to pop round 10 mins later to get the kong once ez had finished and she said when she arrived murphy was hiding under the kitchen table :(. I told the rescue he can't stay here obviously, especially with puppy coming on sat. His health is a real issue and it is clear he has something quite sinister going on in his nose (which is where he had cancer originally) and the vet wonders whether is sudden changes in behaviour could be something sinister in his brain. 2 vets said that they wouldn't say no if the rescue decided on euthanasia. He would need loads of tests costing thousands of pounds to determine possibly what the issues are but with him being older and clearly unhappy we don't think it's fair putting him through all that. I would never make the decision but I half think that euthanaisa be best for him.the rescue want to give him one last chance by upping his pain relief and putting him in a home as the only dog, but they have rushed it and they are putting him with a lady who works, but she's said her mum will sit with him all day and she also has a 9 year old son, and as iv said before Ezra has started being quite growly but also has been known to snap at strangers hands so I am not keen on him going there but the rescue are basically insisting. It literally breaks my heart and Iv hardly stopped crying for the last 2 days. I hate the thought of him leaving us and him being scared again like he is when we take him somewhere new, I'm worried the move will unsettle him and make his behaviour worse, and I think if he is going to be euthanised eventually anyway as the vet keeps saying he's not going to be around long, then I think he should go when he feels settled and peaceful with us, not after a stressful move to new surroundings with someone who works all day and so has to have someone else in to sit with him. Argh :(

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh Frankie...how difficult for you.
    From an outsiders point of view it looks like euthanasia would be the kindest option for Ezra but it is difficult for you being "just a fosterer" as I guess you don't have final decision on this.
    It will be spoiling all your puppy excitement too.
    In a way the puppy makes it so so much more difficult for you as I could see people "interfering" and being critical when they really have NO idea of the full story and the issues you have had to try come to terms with with Ezra.
    My heart really goes out to you on this.
    I really hope that those who have the power to make the decisions do so in the best interest of Ezra.
    Thinking of you Frankie xx

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Frankie I'm thinking of you too,I have a stone in my tummy reading how it's all turned out so I can only imagine how upset you are by all of this.Ezra needs to be in an experienced adult ,1 dog only home and anything less seems irresponsible to me.Youve looked after Ezra so well and given the rescue so much feedback on his behaviour ,they have got all the facts to make the right decision.....I haven't fostered but since getting Dexter I follow and read a lot of the rescue organizations pages and stories.....I think Ezra has been a particularly challenging first foster for you,you've coped really well xxx

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Thinking of you, Frankie. Big hugs.
    Rosie

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

This is awful, you poor thing Frankie. I don't understand this rescue organization - most of them only bring dogs back to the UK who have a really good chance of finding a happy, forever home here (so young dogs with good health and socialization skills).

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hugs to you, lots of hugs. I'm crying in Starbucks!

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So terribly difficult :(

Ultimately the foster organisation needs to make the decisions...you've done your best to provide advice. I agree that if Ezra's health is going to deteriorate beyond repair then it is kindest to give him relief before it gets really bad. He may well be in quite a lot of pain, poor boy.

You've done such an incredible job. What a serious challenge you've had. We all admire you for what you have done - I know I do.

Massive hugs from me too.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Echo what the others have said. You have given Ezra some happy months and shown him love. I know this is so hard, I really hope the rescue place will be looking out for Ezra's best interests.

I know you feel bad, Frankie, but take comfort in all that you have done for Ezra. Very few people would have done as much, for sure. But it is clear that he can't stay with you anymore, it's not good for any of you, including Ezra, with the new puppy coming.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I hate euthanasia unless it is the right thing for the dog and I do feel it is for Ezra. I have been thinking that his cancer is getting worse by his behaviour and so it would be kinder for him to be euthanised now after having a loving home with you and not have the trauma of moving and then euthanasia when that doesn't work.

11. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone. I emailed the rescue this morning as a last bid to change their minds, about how moving him is not the right thing and that pts is. They then rang me later to say they had spoken to my vet again, and she said the last thing to do is up his pain meds, but that he needs to stay with me so I can monitor his behaviour to see if it makes a difference. They said my vet Vicky said that. So of course i reluctantly said ok if thats what the vet thinks. I then went to the vets to pick up the tramadol and rimadyl and saw vicky the vet. i asked her why she said what she said, and she said she never said that! So the rescue had lied/ bent the truth to manipulate me into keeping him. The vet said that she told them that she is happy to try stronger meds, but agreed moving him wasnt in his best interests, and said that she is sure that this will end in a pts whether they do it now or next week. They are just prolonging it. So i payed for the meds anyway, and then rang the rescue, and its all very much he said/she said type thing, so I am now waiting for the other lady from the rescue who has the ultimate decision to ring me. She has only met ezra for 5 mins back in early december! I hate hate hate saying it because i wont even kill flys, iv always said I wouldnt make decisions like this as i dont feel like I can play god, but i know in this situation its right. It kills me to say it and i dont think im ever going to get over this :( il let you know what the lady says. Oh and also they spoke to the romanian rescuers about him and apparently he had some funny behaviours out there including banging his head against the wall and oushing in on to the floor, which my vet said is a sign of depression, and he does it loads at my house! So he is clearly so unhappy :(

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Frankie,Ezra and you need peace....is the rescue so evangelical about making new lives for these poor dogs that they have stopped seeing the obvious?im not negating the wonderful work they do bringing these dogs from such desperate situations but They are misleading fosterers to keep dogs in safe homes at any cost ....Ezra's health issues are serious and will impact critically on his long term well being...I hope they reconsider and think of Ezra's quality of life at this stage xxx

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sending you big hugs xx
    I really hope they take on board everything you have said and done for Ezra and that they think carefully about the best for Ezra xx

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Frankie - I honestly believe that dogs have no fear of death, it means nothing to them. Ezra is a companion dog, but the circumstances are such that he can't be a companion. PTS is the kindest thing, with his final time as stress free and comfortable as possible. Death doesn't matter to dogs - I appreciate not all rescues see it this way - the only thing that matters is his quality of life, and if that's poor it's obvious (to my mind) a painless PTS is best.

Put your case in the strongest terms to the rescue, but if they don't agree, there is nothing else you can do, very unfortunately, but you have to hand him back.

I'm sending the warmest hugs and wishes your way.

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Bless you xx

Yes, all he will know is that he went to sleep, dogs know nothing of death. Try to have the vet come to you so that s/he can do it peacefully in familiar surroundings.

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I hope you get an answer from the rescue centre soon, it's unfair to you and to Ezra to keep you hanging. Are you getting your pup tomorrow? :-\

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

A dog who bangs his head against a wall is suffering head pain. I do feel for Ezra's sake he should be pts before he has the stress of moving. You will be able to know that his last days were with you, he was warm, he was fed and he was safe and you gave him comfort. x

18. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=8440.msg137451#msg137451 date=1421433282]
    Oh Frankie,Ezra and you need peace....is the rescue so evangelical about making new lives for these poor dogs that they have stopped seeing the obvious?im not negating the wonderful work they do bringing these dogs from such desperate situations but They are misleading fosterers to keep dogs in safe homes at any cost ....Ezra's health issues are serious and will impact critically on his long term well being...I hope they reconsider and think of Ezra's quality of life at this stage xxx
    [/quote]

Agree 100%.

Frankie, you've done a fab job all along and you took on Ezra in good faith. Hope the rescue org makes the right decision now.

19. Fwhitt246

Iv just spoken to the rescue lady, i told her exactly how i feel, how i am sure it is the right thing to do, as if there was any doubt in my mind I would never do it as i would never forgive myself for having the doubt. A couple of times she kept saying just give it a few more days etc, and i kept saying but it is just prolonging the inevitable. She has finally agreed to sleep on it again, and i feel fairly confident that she will finally agree. They are going to tell me in the morning. She kept saying she couldnt bring herself to say yes do it. Which i understand. At points it felt like she just wasnt really listening, just agreeing. We will see in the morn. Thanks everyone. This is so hard, it feels wrong that its almost being rushed by the fact puppy comes tomorrow, but i am sure that we would be in the same situation whether she was coming or not. She doesnt change his numerous serious health problems.

Thanks for being so supportive, i think this is the hardest thing iv ever had to do. X

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Whether circumstances mean the discussions have been brought forward or not - you are doing the right thing. You are. Absolutely.

Best wishes.