Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

It's lovely Ezra will be looked after, loved and cared for after such a difficult life so far.

I wish you all luck and hope it goes really well. I'm sure it will.

He has such a lovely expression on his face. I'd be no good at fostering I'd fail as soon as I saw the photo and end up with a house full of dogs. ::)

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Bless! Hope it all goes well! :) Just expect the shell-shocked..."OMG..what have we done" feeling, a bit like when we first got Benson as a pup :) :)

The first day we got Casper, he needed so much attention we had to be in the same room, or he would bark piteously..it was really hard in the first week. Letting him off the lead for example then realising you can't actually recall a dog that doesn't actually have a name! ;D It all worked out and now we can't imagine going back to a one dog household.

3. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hope all goes well.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope everything went well today :)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Frankie...what a gift you are giving to a lovely dog.....I can't give you anything to help this transition period but I'm so glad Casper's Kate has popped by to let you know it might not be without a few bumps.....hang on in there,if you are having trouble and you need he,p you know we are always around and there's a lot of experience within the forum that can help you and support you
    big hug,lots of luck
    Angela xxx

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

How great to give this dog a chance. I'm really looking forward to the photos of him blossoming.

7. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Argh so far... Hard. He's growled at murphy and snarled at the cat. He's extremely nervous as well. He also stinks so me and my friend have washed him a lot. Not sure if I can risk it with the cat issue. Murphy is also quite scared of him. So difficult!!! :(

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hang in there - he is probably scared, frightened, and it's all so new. Give yourselves - everyone - a chance to adjust.

Best wishes with it. It might be tough at times but you are doing a wonderful thing.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Give him - and yourselves - a bit of time Frankie. He must be terrified.

You are a hero, in my book. :)

10. Beanwood

[quote author=Fwhitt246 link=topic=8440.msg122410#msg122410 date=1415471617]
    Argh so far... Hard. He's growled at murphy and snarled at the cat. He's extremely nervous as well. He also stinks so me and my friend have washed him a lot. Not sure if I can risk it with the cat issue. Murphy is also quite scared of him. So difficult!!! :(
    [/quote]

I really know how you feel, when we brought Casper home it was honestly a nightmare! I remember Jemima (from the rescue) saying he will be a different dog in a week...just give it time..and me looking at Casper and thinking I just don't know..I really don't know...he was terrified, everytime I raised my hand he would cower, so confused..but you know what? A week later he was a different dog. I was a wreck mind! ;D

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh gosh......
    What a big thing you are doing.
    Must be such a challenge. Bound to be difficult.
    A friend of mine got a new puppy and her older dog (around a year or so) just HATED the pup.
    Now they are best buddies.
    Hang on in there, it may develop okay, but even if not, you are doing a tremendous job fostering for a forever-home :)

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope things are more settled in a week or so. I'm sure all of you are in a similar state of apprehension at the moment, which is totally understandable for humans and canines.

You're not making a permanent commitment - you're providing a safe haven for a while.

Thinking of you and sending relaxing vibes!! :)

13. Fwhitt246

Ezra is such a cutie. With us humans he just snuggles up and pushes his head into you, its so sweet! He growled and went for Harry the cat which wasnt good but we took murphy and him for a little walk round the block and they were ok, and then they were both in the kitchen with us which isnt huge and there werent any problems. Its just the cat thing really as harry doesnt get the hint or get out of the way so im worried about him putting himself in danger.

Its so sad though, hes all patchy and with sore bald patches. I keep crying because of thinking of the horrors hes seen and been through. I think i am too emotional really for this sort of thing. I get so depressed sometimes thinking about all the horrible things that go on in the world, i remember as a child crying myself to sleep worrying about manatees being endangered (id recieved a book about them). Im a bit crazy lol.

Will see what its like in the morn, the rescue arnt keen on putting harry at risk too much so they will move him if its not any better. Iv made him a snuggly bed in a smallish crate and covered it over so he feels safe and he has gone in it and snoozed a couple of times. :)

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You're doing wonderfully well :)

Ezra has had a very hard life by the sound of it, but the awful things he's experienced have come to an end now. It will take him a little while to work that out, but he will.

For all the trauma and horror in the world there are as many or more good people trying to balance it. You are one of those ones :)

15. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Everything Rachael just said. You are his guiding light back to good times and happiness x

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Huge respect from here. You are giving him a safe place to recover, but he has been through such a lot it's bound to take some time to come around. Keep us posted.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thinking of you, and hoping it's a good day for you all.

18. Beanwood

We had a bit of a problem with one of our cats...it happened when Casper was on the sofa, and our old siamese tried to get up as well., Casper snarled and snapped, all went a bit crazy for a few moments. We managed it,are managing it, and never let let the cats on our lap if Casper is there first, it was our mistake. The issue of possessiveness is what we are working on now.

We were really carefully avoided being too affectionate with Casper, especially at the beginning, I know it sounds strange and the first thing we wanted to do, but it is so important not too, just work on a quiet, warm safe environment, just the ferry trip is terrifying...the first thing Casper did went entering our house was pee and poo everywhere. I was seriously considering taking him back there and then, I know that Jemima (rescue) sensed this in the first somewhat worried phone call!

We worked instead on giving him a safe place..and teaching him it was a safe place. So we used the crate. We fed him in the crate, any treats are given in the crate. I just need to say "bed" now and he runs to his crate, dives in there very waggy tailed! Amazing considering the first day. We put Casper crate in the living room, it is still is there. Bensons area is in the kitchen, at night we keep them apart, and even now closely supervise play.

And yes, I cried a lot, buckets! All Casper had to do was look at me with his big sorrowful eyes and I was in tears again! ;D ;D

How ever long you manage, be assured you are doing a wonderful thing, even if you only manage a few days. :)

19. Fwhitt246

Thanks :) we had a good night, he was in crate in kitchen with radio on and didnt hear a peep all night. Murphy and harry slept with us. This morn he was very nervous and kept going back into the crate, which i guess is a good thing that he feels safe in here. Him and murphy both had breakfast eitherside of the babygate which was all fine. Murphy is still timid around him and i had to really coax him into the kitchen! Ezra and Murphy had a sort of play, lots of quick play bows and murohy pawed him a few times. Ezra ended it by going in his crate and so i shut him in and hes gone to sleep. Im feeling much happier today, we are going to take them for a walk later. The only issue is the cat thing as he has growled at harry again this morn. Not sure what to do with that. :/ oh just whilst i was writing kate you replied! That makes me feel better, thank you. Luckily hes been really clean in the house, but he hasnt actually been for a poo yet. You have also given me hope for the cat thing :) thank you x

20. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

One little piece of advice Frankie, if you don't mind , from someone who has rescued an unknown history dog, more than once too . Try not to feel too sorry for him , its hard I know but what you need to do is to remember that he is no longer in danger, he is safe, well and reasonably healthy . When we first had little Millie, my husband kept making ( massive ) allowances and excuses for her when she was " difficult " , saying Poor little mite , but she wasn't a poor little mite any more , don't know if I am making any sense ::) ::)
    I really wish you all the luck in the world but it can be a long job, bringing them round and training with positivity and love, its no quick fix . Please don't feel guilty if you cant manage , at least you will have highlighted the problem areas , as I did with one dog that I could not keep as she hated Sam and was unreliable around family . Don't hesitate to ask if you need any help at all x