Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

Good luck, I hope George settles around the cat soon.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Just wanted to give you a bit of moral support Frankie. You're doing a great job. It'll take time for George and the cat to get used to each other, but I am sure they will eventually - they may never be the best of friends but I should think they'll learn to tolerate each other.

I love George's new name! And good idea to rename him I think - make him more 'yours', and to draw a line between his old life and the new one. :)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

George is a good name :)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Good luck with this. You're doing a great thing and hopefully he will learn to settle down with your cat. Like Karen said, they probably won't be best friends, but given time, they'll probably just ignore each other. Treating him for ignoring the cat and settling down will help him understand it's best to just chill out.

I hope he continues to improve and grow with your family.

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We reacted the same way...a sort of panicked yell when Casper gave a low growl/snarl...it was very worrying, and it did have us permanently on the edge of our seats for a bit, still does. It resulted a few times in a snap at said cat and a couple of nasty altercations with Benson, they always look and sound worse then they actually are, but doesn't help much at the time when your adrenalin is pumping! :eek:

The advice we were given, sounds a bit odd I know, but to allow Casper to growl. We then quickly remove the trigger, ie Cat, or resolve the problem quietly if possible..move other dog...sort out kongs (yep...that was NOT good.... :eek:) The rationale behind this reasoning is that growling/snarling is a very important way dogs communicate how the feel...they don't want to bite/snap so the growl is telling you they feel unhappy and please go away! If this warning mechanism is suppressed, ie they are taught that growling is bad, then when the stress becomes too great (fight or flight takes over...) you get the snap/ bite/attack without any warning.

Hope this makes some sort of sense, you are doing really, really well and in such a short space of time. :)

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I really hope this works out for you all. You've done a lovely thing.

My lab, Riley is a complete wet blanket who never tells anyone off for anything and has been remarkably tolerant of our new puppy but even he has growled at Obi if he comes too near his rawhide chew!! ::)

I agree it's an important communication and you don't want to suppress it as it's your early warning system.

Very best of luck !

7. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Thanks everyone. Well George and the cat have just had a close encounter. George decided he wanted to sniff harry and harry was just sat on the footstool. So i had one finger in georges collar just in case. George was wagging and trying to sniff Harry, and then he started opening his mouth and trying to bite him (whilst wagging) and to me it looked like the payful biting that he does when he plays with Murphy. Harry eventually decided he didnt like it, hissed at George and then jumped away which then got George quite excited so i put him in the kitchen behind the babygate. I guess that is positive? Obviously I dont want george biting Harry whether playful or not, as i dont know whether he knows not to bite hard like murphy does. Also Harry is recovering from Hernia surgery and being castrated so i dont want him getting too worked up. X

8. Fwhitt246

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh my goodness, poor little man...

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It sounds like a positive encounter between George and Harry to me, but others with cats and dogs are better placed to say, I'm sure.

The pics are just lovely. How great that he has you to love and look after him (even if it's just for a bit).

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just chipping in to say you are doing brilliantly but I know it won't be easy and you are probably knackered.i could cry looking at George...the things he must have experienced ...I'm so happy he is safe with you x

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

The picture of him cuddled up with Murphy is so sweet...

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Lovely photos frankie.

I think the George and Harry encounter was good. George certainly sou ds like he was being friendly. Obviously while Harry is recovering you need to be extra careful but if he hadn't jumped away George probably wouldn't have got so excited.

We have two farm cats. On occasion in our back yard there can be three dogs, two cats and about eight chickens. They all mill around together not bothering but if one should run then that's the signal to chase. Rarely happens. Same thing used to happen with my old lab and the cats. He would ignore them mainly especially if they came rubbing around his legs. I don't think he liked that he knew it was wrong. ::). If for some reason the cat decided to run away though then he'd chase.

I'm sure given a bit more time George and Harry will learn to get on. It might be a case of Harry learning to tolerate George. ;)

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy is a dreadful cat chaser. She just loves the fact that they run away from her! I was very nervous about taking her to my mother's, as in addition to her two dogs (and five budgies), she also has a cat... I wouldn't say that Poppy and Mimi will ever, ever be friends, but somehow it does seem to work. They just give each other LOTS of space...

15. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I rehomed Alice, a collie cross when she was 5. I already had a resident cat Gemma. I didn't leave them alone for sometime.

After Alice had been here about three weeks she was laying by my feet in the dining room when Gemma came out of the lounge and clearly wanted to get into the hall. It took here about 10 minutes to imperceptibly creep around the room to the open door at which point she virtually leapt into the air and gave the most violent hiss I have ever heard (think Tom and Gerry) and scarpered. and that was it.

After that they either ignored each other or, if they met by the back door as one was going in or out would touch noses as if to say "how's it out there"

16. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone that makes me feel better. At least it isnt long term and hopefully he gets adopted soonish. Here is a pic of murphy and george playing with harry observing lol

[​IMG]
    image by Fwhitt246, on Flickr

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Awww....from the look on Harry's face I'd that that looks like a truce. Kind of, anyway. ;D ;D ;D

Progress, I'd say. And so lovely to see George having some fun.

18. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Sounds like you are doing well, you have a lot going on at the moment, so again, hats off! I have never had a dog and cat together so can't give any practical advice but in general it sounds like things are progressing well. Do you know if George has had any previous encounters with cats? I suppose it might be nice to know but I guess in a way not relevant, whatever his past is he is with a cat now, so has to learn to deal with it. I would think that generally most cats could get away from a dog or otherwise defend themselves pretty well in a close encounter, obviously you don't want it to come to that but I don't think Harry is in much actual danger from the pooch. I would worry about claw damage to poor George, though! :eek: Anyhow I hope that issue settles down and relieves you of some of your tension,at any rate. Many people have dogs and cats together so obviously it can be done! :)

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like it's going well and progress is being made :)

It's amazing that even after all that neglect dogs can still pick themselves up and get on with life.... George looks happy and you're doing such a fab job :)

20. Fwhitt246

Apparently there was a cat at the clinic where he had his cancer treatment and he was fine with it.

He has just met My mum in law and she has fallen in love with him and really wants him. Only worry is she has young grandchildren (almost 2 and 5) and dont know what hes like with kids.

He seemed to like her too though.. Havent seen him sit up like this before:

[​IMG]
    image by Fwhitt246, on Flickr