Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

:) :) :)
    Good work George ;)

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Great news - happy outcome all round. :)

3. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Unfortunately in laws are giving him back.

Firstly, after the first night of having him they rang up and said they were giving him back because their cat didnt come in all night and he barked in his crate. Then in the space of half an hour the cat came in, had her food and went to sleep on their bed and so they then rang back and said they would keep him.

Then is evening we went round to see him with murphy. George snapped at him a couple of times went murohy went near his bed. At the time I told them it is just where George is getting used to where he is and understanding what is his and that it is not under threat etc. anyway as soon as we got home from theirs (a 30 min drive) they have rang to say they dont want him because he snapped at murphy and might snap and the grandkids. And they wont accept that they have to give him time to settle in or anything.

I am fuming and gutted for him. They are bring him back right now, i have insisted as i have said its not fair to confuse him and let him get anymore settled there. I am so upset for him. I have decided that if they are that willingt o give up in him that easily then they dont deserve him anyway.

Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh i am so sad :(

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh no :( Sadly you are exactly right - re-homing a dog that has had a hard life requires patience and an understanding of dog behaviour. It doesn't sound like it was a good fit after all :(

But the right home is out there. It really is! It will work out in the end :)

Give George a pat for us.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am so sorry, how disappointing for you and upsetting for George.

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Oh that is a shame.

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

So sorry, Frankie! Hang in there, and Pongo sends licks to George and hopes to meet him soon....

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh so sorry for George. Perhaps they just didn't realise what might be involved - no doubt their heart was in the right place but they just didn't appreciate the practicalities.

Hugs to you all.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor George.
    Hope you are all ok Frankie (apart from seething a bit)
    Just shows you how special you lot are to be doing this for a rescue.
    Look after yourselves.
    x

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh no poor George what a set back but better now than when he had settled in, you can now focus on George so that the next adopter gives him the forever home he so deserves. Don't lose heart your doing a wonderful thing for George. Hugs to you all xxxxx

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sorry to read this, but better now than later down the line, the right home is out there for sure x

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

IYou know what Frankie ,you must have been doing such a fantastic job of managing the settling of him into your place with your gang....that they thought it would be easy.....they've done it sooner rather than later and really not everyone is up to the challenges of what you've been doing this last week or so ....it's sad but George will be safe and looked after responsibly with you and his forever home will be the right one for him...
    You've coped with patience,love and integrity,I think you've done an amazing job with this little fellow and his challenges x

13. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone. It's a real shame, and unfortunately now he is very unsettled at my house again. He barked loads in the crate last night which he didn't do at all last week. He is paying Harry the cat even more attention than before, and today he went on a group walk with my dog walker and he had a go at all the other dogs including murphy and a dog he played with last week and growled for the whole walk. I'm hoping he settles back down otherwise don't know what I'm going to do :( x

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Aww how unfortunate, I'm so sorry you've had these difficulties. You are going to have to go back to sqaure one with him, i think, taking things very slowly. Poor dog doesn't know which way is up. :-\ Sending hugs and sympathy....I'm sure he will settle in again but i guess the question becomes, are you up to it?

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh Frankie,you can do it because you have done it but Lisa is right you are probably starting from scratch again...I might be wrong on this so others please correct me but a group walk might be a bit much for him just now?i think you are a start and were doing really well,I'm so sorry you've had this setback x

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh Frankie. Big hugs {{hugs}}. At least they said now before he got too settled. Fingers crossed he settles quickly and if not, I'm sure the shelter will be very supportive of everything you have done xx

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I've just caught up with this and I'm so sorry it hasn't worked out.

I know barking in his crate isn't a good thing but it might be a sign he is gaining confidence and is no longer confused or scared. Rescue dogs and cats can be quiet even silent when they are unsure or worried about new surroundings. I know that doesn't actually help but I'm sure he will settle quickly. ::)

Hopefully the right home will be found soon. Fingers crossed.

18. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Nothing to add really Frankie, except that I`m so sorry that this has happened :(

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's been a few days. How is George now? Has he settled back down at all?

20. Fwhitt246

Hiya,

I cant get over how much more confident Ezra is today! (Unfortunately the in laws wanted to keep his name Ezra so i think it will be too confusing to try and change it to george again so he is staying ezra). We just got back from a walk round the block, its dark, and he had his tail up and wagging the whole time! We stopped outside co op and he did shake a little but i wonder whether it was because he was cold rather than scared. He said hello nicely to a few strangers too. This morn he was attacked whilst on a walk, a bloody terrier thing wouldnt leave him alone even when he was going for a poo and then properly went for him biting his back! I had to use my foot to push it away (i didnt actually kick it) and its owner was a tiny spec on the horizon! I was so annoyed and actually felt sick! Ezra was ok though, he disnt even have a go back which i thought he might. He has also been loads better with the cat! Just ignoring him really, so we are no longer constantly on edge when they are in the same room.

We are still only fostering him though and tryingto find him a lovely home where he gets loadsof attention!