Is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Fwhitt246, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Is this a good idea???

Two steps forward and one step back... Sorry things are so stressy for you Frankie. It's such a shame; as Rachael says is there any way you can ensure he can't open the baby gate while you are out? Maybe this isn't going to work out for you for much longer, but I would hate you to have to have Ezra taken away in a rush until a good place can be found for him...

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I second Karen Frankie ,although I know this can't be easy.....could you put the baby gate on the bottom of the stairs?if you can padlock it or even tape it up while you aren't there to supervise Ezra and Murphy can hang out and Harry has an escape option?im sorry you came home to it,it must have been really upsetting after what sounds like a lovely night x

3. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Thanks everyone. We tried Rachael's idea and I bungee chorded the gate shut, but Ezra can now jump it :(. The way the stairs is means you can't put a babygate so we don't know what to do. But I agree I don't want to rush him off when I know it will really unsettle him and poss make it harder for him to be rehomed. Also to top it off, I have been in Bristol seeing my nan who is in hospital after having heart surgery and Charlie my oh has just rang to say that he shut Ezra in the kitchen with the babygate whilst he hoovered and Ezra jumped over the top and his under the bed! Charlie knows how scared he is and knows I wanted to help him with it. Such a pain in the arse!!!

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Drat, too bad the bungee didn't work. :(

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh, that is a bummer.... Good try though.

Is there anything else you can easily use to block off the stairs....? Bit of plywood clamped to the frame/stair rail/balustrade?

Shame about the vacuuming....but not to worry...I'm sure it's not a step back, just a delay to the next step forward.

6. Dexter

Is there anything in the DIY store...you know a bit like chicken wire that hen pens and rabbit hutches are made from?woukd something like that work?it wouldn't be the greatest look in home interior decor but could be a cheap,short term solution?
    Sorry about your Nana Frankie,hope she recovers well from the op xxx

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=8440.msg127303#msg127303 date=1417211998]
    I'm sure it's not a step back, just a delay to the next step forward.
    [/quote]

What a lovely way of putting it :)

Fwhitt246, you have done a wonderful thing which many of us could never do.

But I think finding his forever home would be a good thing for him as he will have a whole host of new things to get used to there. The sooner that starts the better imho.

8. JohnG

JohnG Registered Users

Apologies if I'm chipping in without understanding the whole story. But do you mind if I ask what the problem is with using a baby gate on the stairs?
    I have awkward stairs with a wall on one side and a bannister on the left. I searched and searched for gates and most are unsuitable to pressure fit to a curvy bannister or were designed to go between two walls or two bannisters, or just not wide enough. I nearly lost hope.

But I found one!
    The BabyDan Premier True Pressure Fit Safety Gate (you can find it on Amazon).
    It's the accessories that make it. You can buy an extension panel to get the width you need. And adapter brackets to hook round a curvey banister on either side. The locking mechanism is impossible for a dog to open. But as with any I guess it could be jump-able.

9. Fwhitt246

Ezra is still with us. Weve got a big bit of board we put through the banister, and put on an angle so the cat can get through. Hes actually ok with cat and has been since that evening. They put finding him a home on hold because we decided he needed to get checked by the vet. I took him today and unfortunately he has very bad arthritis in all his legs, one of his front ones is particularly bad and i can feel it crunching, and his back left leg has got muscle wastage and is tiny compared to his back right, but both have arthiritis, or the vet said could be displaysia (i cant spell it! What a hard word to spell!). So iv got metacam to give him and see how he gets on. He also has a hole in his nose which is something to do with the tumour and although the vets in romania said they had cured it, ky vet said that you can never say you have cured the cancer and be sure it wont come back. Ezra also has a tooth that needs to be removed, but she doesnt want to out him under just for that tooth. Also she thinks he is nearer double digits age, not 6. So i ended up crying on the floor of the vets, as no one is going to adopt him with all those problems! The rescue have said they will put out a plea for a long term foster where they cover the bills. We would keep him up but i dont know whether it would be the best thing for ezra, he goes lame after just half an hour lead walk, and murphy needs much more! Also I wasnt going to say anything untill after xmas but we were also planning o getting a black lab puppy little sister for murphy, the pups are ready the end of jan. When we decided we didnt think we would still have ezra but now its looking like we might. Its all so complicated. Dont know what to do about anything! We have even chosen a name for the pup, Maisie, but i dont want to move on ezra to make way for a puppy as it sounds so heartless, and i really love ezra. Argh x

10. Oberon

Oh Frankie, that is a tough one.

I know you have come to love Ezra, and he really does seem like such a lovely boy. After all he has been through, and all the pain he just be in, he is still good natured, which is amazing. Knowing all that, it would be so hard to contemplate sending him off to another home. But think back to your goal when you started all this, which was to provide safe, temporary shelter so Ezra could get out of the terrible situation he was in. You've achieved that and more. You've done a great thing for Ezra, full stop. He will be totally ok in another home - and maybe the kind of home that'd suit him the very best would be a place where the people aren't too active but do short, gentle walks, and don't have a cat or a young dog.

You would definitely not be letting him down if he went to another foster home and you got a puppy. It is not true that no-one would want him. You quickly became fond of him, and so would other people. :)

Big hug!! :)

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I can see this is so hard for you.
    Rescues don't expect fosters to be the end deal.
    I totally agree with Rachaels comments.
    Keep your spirits up.

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hugs from here, too. You have already done much more for this dog than most people would. Please don't feel bad if you don't think you are up to the long term commitment of keeping him, if that is not something you are up to. As Rachel said, you took him on as a foster. It's not horrible if you feel it is time for him to move on, and you could do so with head held high, in my opinion.

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, Frankie, I couldn't read this and not reply because you sound so sad and worried. As Rachael said, it's not true that no-one will want him. Elderly people, for example, often prefer taking on older dogs because they don't want or need a strong, lively young dog that needs long walks or that will become too much for them as time goes on. A small, quiet, well-natured dog is a far better option. Remember you have done a fabulous thing but you have to do what is right for your family. You have already done so much for Ezra and you shouldn't feel compelled to adopt him if that's not compatible with your family's plans.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I hope everything works out, Frankie. Warm wishes to you.

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with Oberon.

You have done a wonderful thing, he is safe and well - he will be safe and well now wherever he goes. You can leave the rest to the rescue, just like you first intended.

I say well done to you - and do not feel guilty when he goes, you have done far more than most people could contemplate. I know I couldn't :)

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Big hugs Frankie - just think of the wonderful thing you have done for Ezra - he now knows what a loving, caring home is and means. Just go with the flow for now and don't worry too much.

Personally, I think I'd go ahead with the new puppy, and just see what happens regarding Ezra.

17. Dexter

Frankie I can only echo what everyone else has said.you have been a wonderful,caring fosterer to Ezraxxx

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I agree with everyone Frankie. You have done so much for him already. I'm sure he will find a forever home quickly x

19. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone. I agree that he needs to go to a nice quiet home, with no young dogs jumping around him and also no big walks etc which obviously our house isnt! But hes going to stay with us until the rescue finds him either an adopter or a long term foster. Here are a few recent pics of him :)

[​IMG]
    image by Fwhitt246, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    image by Fwhitt246, on Flickr

20. Oberon

He's looking very alert and like he has energy, even if he still has a way to go till his fur grows in again. He's a cute boy :) He'll look fab with a full coat.