is this behaving badly?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by debsie, Oct 31, 2012.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Hello. My youngest boy Brodick (8 months) has a real thing about his big sis Cuillin (fourteen months) playing with other dogs. She is very clearly Top Boss Dog and always has been, and he seems very happy with this, but ever since he could first go out with her he would chase her when she played with other dogs and grab her by her neck and try to stop her. I thought he might grow out of it but showing no signs! he's a very friendly wee boy but quite reserved around other dogs apart from Cuillin and my sisters two labs, who he knows very well. He will get quite wild with them and loves a good Hoolie, but will just go up and have a sniff and wag politely with other dogs, his dog manners and body language seems excellent. Cuillin on the other hand is Super Sociable with other dogs so he has his work cut out for him. Not sure whether I should be stopping him doing this more, I distract him just now as Cuillin gets a bit narked by it when shes wanting a game with a buddy...so I guess Im wondering whether this is normal? They are close but also very bonded to me, get separate walks as well as joint, and separate training as well as joint...a few folk have commented that as Cuillin sometimes struggles with her social skills with other dogs (a lot of in your face muzzle licking and sometimes she can be a bit impolite with small hairy dogs, a very focused chase might develop) he is sort of trying to keep her out of trouble and keep playing to in the trusted pack but not sure if this is reading too much into it, is he just plain jealous of her playing with other dogs?!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: is this behaving badly?!

I might be barking up the wrong tree ( pardon the pun ) but I would see it more that because he is more reserved than Cuillin , he wants to join in but hasnt yet got the confidence and so hangs on to his big sister as a sort of safety net ? He could be jealous of her outgoing nature too and so sticks with her when she wants to play with others . Distraction is the best thing with him until he gets his confidence levels up enough to join in but then, as they all have such different natures , he might never want to do this . I wouldnt readtoo much into it re the protecting her . Does Brodick go to puppy classes ? If not, then a puppy class might help him to be more independant of Cuillin ?

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Re: is this behaving badly?!

thanks, yes that makes perfect sense actually. he sees my friend's two enormous Golden Retreivers every week, they have been very gentle with him while obviously desparate for him to play with them, and last week he had a quick game of tuggy with one of them for the first time then rushed over to me wagging furiously and looking very pleased with himself so I think you're right, it was like he'd just plucked up the courage to play on his own. he's done his puppy basic lessons and goes to a day creche a couple of days a week where he played with other puppies without Cuillin around, but I think you're right he would benefit from a puppy class training situation with me there as well to gain confidence around other dogs. think Ive goofed by keeping his training to the home, though he's coming along really well the class situation would benefit him massively , its been at the back of my mind for quite a while that I should be doing this as Cuillin went to a local class, but keep missing the starting dates so I will get more organised. Brilliant advice, thanks!