Isle of Man Welcomes Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Friendly Places & Recommendations' started by edzbird, May 29, 2015.

1. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

OK, this is not a specific place but there has been a campaign going on here for a long while. We have been a fairly anti-dog destination, but today it has changed...
    "Dogs will be allowed into pubs and eateries at the operators’ discretion - as the island takes the lead to show it is a pooch friendly destination.
    Restrictions on allowing dogs into food premises have been lift with immediate effect, it was announced today (Friday)." (from IOMtoday.co.uk)

I don't think my two would be well behaved in a pub, but many, many will. It is great news for the Isle of Man. (I don't think "takes the lead" is true - we are definitely following.)

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You didn't used to be able to take your dog into pubs on the IoM? Wow, didn't know that.....Charlie loves his pub trips. Take your dogs, they might surprise you. :)

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Definitely take your dogs to the pub. It's hard to believe they were banned, most bars here welcome dogs and dogs are not uncommon in restaurants. Juno enjoys here trips to the bar after a walk. :D

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Definitely worth a go!
    Lilly was fab in the dog friendly pub/restaurants we went last year on holiday. Hadn't really done it before so a bit nervous.
    Really....just do it! :)

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My two are great in pubs and restaurants. Surprisingly great. Definitely worth a try :)

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I must also ask, do you not like the name "Scooby"? :D

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The Isle of Man is still centuries ahead of the Isle of Australia on this matter. Here, dogs are not allowed in pubs and even Guide Dogs (who are allowed everywhere) are regularly (and illegally) thrown out of cafes by ignorant cafe owners...(who then get a fine).

So, good for you, Isle of Man, for seeing the light :)

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

And of course the Isle of Doobs is in the doggie dark ages! There are a couple of places that advertise you can take your dog to though .....but they aren't consistent ..it only takes a certain nationality of customer to complain and the rule will temporarily change.Hence Dex and I no longer frequent our local cafe Nero....we got turfed!The staff still ask about him though .i called ahead to another place that I would have to drive to and they said yes,but when we got there they said no....We tried to not be offended,maybe they didn't like the look of us? And we were on our best behaviour too....until Dex vented his disappointment and weed on a flower pot..hmmmmmm.
    Joking aside,use your new freedom and try it out with your 2.I was desperate for opportunities to get Dexter socialized to cafes because we want to take him to the dog friendly UK next Summer.I thought he would be appalling and so worked up to sitting at a table over about 10 days...he was grand.,I think he could have done it straight off but I was too apprehensive.I gave him really good walks before and took his breakfast with me and we didn't do bad! I met my friend last week in the UK and she brought her little cavalier King Charles spaniel,we found a lovely dog friendly tea room and had a really nice time,there were probably 3 other small dogs in there.we got talking to a lady at the next table and she said she'd love to bring her 4 month old cocker spaniel in but was scared of the carnage,her friend piped up the puppy was outside in the car blummin heck! 'Bring her in ' I said in the most encouraging way I could convey so she did and that little girl was amazing,obviously a bit excited when she came in,en just lay down under her owners chair,sometimes it's us that are scared of being embarrassed ....what's the worse that can happen?( closes her eyes and shudders at the thought of Dexter in that little quaint tea shop ) Dont be afraid of giving it a try,you can enjoy nice walks then and a lovely lunch out at the end of it,good luck x

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry you got turfed from the cafe! That flower pot deserved to be wee-ed on.

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

No Fiona, I'm not too keen on the name Scooby. I certainly wouldn't have chosen it. We also call him Cloot the Galoot (he is totally clumsy), and he will answer to Clootie (Dumpling). Bless him the poor dog!

Dexter - classic, well done.

I think I will try them in a local-ish cafe that's been letting dogs in on a Wednesday under the radar for a while. I know they are very dog-friendly. Next step, pub further along.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie will wee on things outside eg flower pots on terraces etc (I'm getting better at stopping him by giving him a cue, if he is wandering round on a loose lead, hey, he's allowed to wee normally) but not inside. It was my biggest fear in taking Charlie into a pub that he'd lift his leg on the bar. I just watched him like a hawk the first few times, and also put down his mat and gave him a kong. I think this helped him to realise we were "inside".

Charlie is a bit of an over excited nut case generally, but even so copes with pubs just fine. I don't think there is anything about them that prompts him to be over excited or behave badly (no space, no footballs, etc.and mostly dogs in pubs are being quiet otherwise they wouldn't be there).