Itchy feet

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by UncleBob, Jan 28, 2017.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi all,

My BIL invited me to take Harvey along to a Beaters Day at the shoot that he attends. Harvey had a great time (so did I) but ... ever since we've got home he has been doing this weird 'skating on the carpet' thing in the living room as if he has incredibly itchy feet!

What might have caused this and how do we stop it? (and, if possible, how do we stop it happening if we go again)

We've given him a bath (which he needed anyway tbh!), we've tried salt water, we've tried cider vinegar - nothing seems to help for more than about 30 seconds.

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Sounds like he has been stung, perhaps by nettles or some other plant that has irritated him. Is he still doing the skating thing?

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It may be worth trying sudocreme. It's helped Harley before when she was stung by nettles. Hope the itching stops soon for him.

4. TJB08

TJB08 Registered Users

My pup had an allergic reaction this week on her paws and was skating, pawing at the ground, licking and biting them. Because it was so severe she needed IV antihistamine and a steroid but the vet said if it happened again but less severely I could give her a piriton tablet 4mg (had to be piriton and not other forms and not the super strength dose). I've since googled online and it seems you can give other antihistamines but the dose is based on weight.

5. UncleBob

Apologies for the late update - it's been one of those weeks!

The itching gradually lessened as the evening went on and had gone completely by the next morning. Very odd ...

Poor lad also had what I think is called 'cold tail' - limp tail and no wagging at all, which is very unusual for Harv as he is generally a very happy chap with a very waggy tail. This, too, cleared up but took 3-4 days.

Good job we both enjoyed the outing or this could have put us off ;)

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Very odd... Was there any swimming involved? Or standing around while he was cold and wet?

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Completely off-topic here and I have no words of wisdom for itchy feet. I just wanted to say I love your avatar pic of Harvey and his teddy. Just makes me go all mushy inside. :heart:

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. UncleBob

There wasn't supposed to be any swimming ... But Harv finds any water, from a muddy puddle to the sea, irresistible and did take a couple of unscheduled dips!

Naya likes this.
  9. UncleBob

You might feel differently if you saw how most of his soft toys are treated shortly after such pictures are taken ;)

edzbird, drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad that Harvey has recovered from his itchy paws and cold tail. Harley sends big licks to her pal.

11. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Geez, way to harsh my mellow. I'll just remember Teddy the way he was in the photo! :D

12. MF

MF Registered Users

Not wanting to make you worry - and I might be completely wrong, but just relating to our dog - could Harvey have hurt his back? Sometimes dogs chew their feet in response to pain somewhere else. And a limp tail might be related to a sore back. Does Harvey rise from lying down and stand stiffly, back arched like a cat?

13. UncleBob

Hi MF

Thanks for your concern.

No, Harv tends to leap up from lying down! And his tail is back to it's normal Force 10 wagginess :)

Naya, MF and Karen like this.