It's all interlinked...

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by snowbunny, Jul 21, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I joined the Training Academy a few days ago, not because I have any specific problems, but because I like the games I've seen them present to date and my dogs enjoy playing them. Increasing my toolbox of things I can use with these dogs and in the future is something I love to do.
    I can find Tom and Lauren a bit OTT, especially in their live presentations, but that doesn't mean they don't have some useful insights.

Last night, I watched a webcast from them. Nothing to do with the Academy, it was just on loose leash walking. The games they presented were ones I've seen before, and, of course, the webinar was a sales tool for getting people to sign up to one of their courses. That's fine, they're running a business and doing it very successfully, but it doesn't have a huge amount of relevance to me.

What I do love, though, is the way they talk about everything being interlinked. Those of us who have seen their stuff before know that they are huge proponents of relationship, which is a very powerful thing indeed. Everyone thinks they have a great relationship with their dog, but these guys take it stratospheric. More importantly, when you're looking at some of the big behaviours we're after from a dog-centric viewpoint - recall, loose-lead walking and off-lead reliability - they all have a large amount of commonality, and that is, making proximity to you a hugely rewarding thing. If your dog finds immense value in being with you, recalling him will be a cinch, you will be more interesting than his environment, and he won't need to pull on the lead, because he's focussed on you.

I think it's a really valuable lesson for those of us who get fixated on one part of the picture.

"I want my dog to walk on a loose lead". Great, but instead of simply fixing the issue by making it punishing to pull (either by using positive punishment such as headcollars or harnesses that tighten, or by using negative punishment by refusing to move until they have loosened the leash), how about addressing it from the standpoint of; if you make yourself amazing to be around, your dog just won't be inclined to pull. AND they'll recall. AND they'll be more reliable off lead.

I know that's a touch simplistic, and we obviously still need to go through a series of proofing, but the holistic view makes perfect sense to me, and I can already see a difference in my - already pretty good - dogs in the few days since I've been using this approach.

This is a little video that I nearly threw out, because it was the bit I chopped off after my training session with Squidge yesterday, but then I looked and thought, just look at her engagement! An eight-month puppy, knee-deep in adolescence, and still willing to give me that when doing a walk at heel(ish).

Yes, if another dog appeared unannounced, she would still run off to say hi (not many proofing opportunities around here), but I also know I could get her back and re-engage her with so that she would return to this focus - because we've done that in a show environment, meaning a couple of dogs in the park would be a cinch :D

I know I sound like a sales tool for Tom and Lauren now, and I don't mean to be, but, to me, this concept of holistic training is brilliant :)

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

She definitely ADORES her mum. That much is very clear to see in all your videos with all your dogs! :)

snowbunny and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. snowbunny

She's actually a complete Daddy's girl! She gives me more focus because of training, but, in the mornings, she'll jump onto the bed on my side, landing on my head, and then laying down on my face so she's comfortable while she licks J's face until he's dripping. Meanwhile, I'm gagging for breath under a lump of chocolate Labrador! :cwl:

4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I like Tom and Laura's emphasis on relationship as well. (And isn't her cocker amazingly good?) Though I'm not so keen on their presenting style. It was just the cost that put me off joining the Academy - of course they're running a business, so it's not that I think the cost was unreasonable, just not feasible for me, when I felt it might have limited use with Molly.

Luna's attention on you in the video is lovely, not to mention the wagging tail.

5. snowbunny

I know what you mean, it's a bit full on! I can manage in the pre-filmed stuff, but find the live videos a bit painful. Looking at comments, Susan Garrett's Recallers program is very similar (they've all worked together in the past), but with a slightly less frantic delivery :)

Blink makes me want a WCS as my next dog :inlove:

6. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I can lend you the Murff. That will quickly cure that notion. :D:D:eek:

snowbunny, Joy and bbrown like this.
  7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

He's cured me and I didn't even have to borrow him :confused:

snowbunny and Stacia like this.
  8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

9. snowbunny

Heheh!! I would love to meet Murffi! :inlove:

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Nice, Fiona! And I couldn't agree more - if your dog thinks you are FASCINATING (because you play great games, or have cheese in your pocket, or talk in an upbeat chirpy voice, or you throw dummies or a combo of all of these), THAT is what will ensure your dog wants to be with you and will stick with you.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

This isn't the case for some of us even when all of the above is being done, so it doesn't always ensure your dog wants to be with you. I really wish it was that simple :(:( Sometimes this is due to their breed :( xx

12. Joy

Joy Registered Users

13. snowbunny

I'm not sure... I mean, there are obviously different challenges with different breeds, and for dogs that are naturally inclined to hunt, or to range, there are bigger challenges in some areas than people with other breeds might face. But, essentially, it comes down to the same thing. If you can predictably offer something that is as exciting more of the time as the environment is some of the time, you're onto a winner. If, like you, Helen, you are coming late to the party by starting with an older dog, so your dog has already learnt to self-reward in his environment, you are going to have far, far more of a struggle than someone starting with these strong techniques with a puppy. But I'm looking at the vast range of breeds in the Academy who these techniques are working for, and it really doesn't seem to be breed dependent.

(ETA the underlining for clarity because it was a bit of a confusing sentence!)

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I do think some breeds are more challenging. I know it's a gross generalisation but I went on a recall course and there were a couple of guardian breeds there and getting them engaged was seriously hard work! I know my friend that has Belgian Herders and then got a Terrier found it like chalk and cheese.

charlie likes this.
  15. snowbunny

Of course, some are more challenging - especially the ones who are bred to work independently. There's definitely not a "one size fits all" approach, because different dogs find different things rewarding. Sometimes, I imagine, it must be extremely hard to work out how to use what they do find rewarding for our benefit! Maybe for some it's not possible, I don't know. But where it is possible, if we can be the ones controlling their access to that reward, we'll have their avid attention :D

bbrown likes this.
  16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yep, relationship!

We put a huge emphasis on this in Flyball training. Flyball competitions are immensely distracting and exciting and it's essential that the handler can top that to be the best thing in the ring. Our beginner dogs spend about 6 months focusing only on building up the desirability and fun of being with the handler (in increasingly distracting environments). Only after that do they get to start working with any Flyball equipment. Our Obedience classes have moved towards a big emphasis on this too. It's fundamental stuff....if you are not fun to be around and you can't get your dog's attention then you are really pushing it uphill. A lot of handlers I see behave in a flat and boring way towards their dogs and the dog has written them off as a great big yawn (though handlers being inconsistent, unclear and confusing produces the same result).

Some breeds are definitely harder than others though and for sure the livestock guardian dogs are challenging. Their focus is on scanning the horizon for danger, not on their human. And Beagles...humans seem largely irrelevant to most Beagles! Labradors are amongst the easiest of breeds to train, I think.

snowbunny and bbrown like this.
  17. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes I have joined The Academy for the same reason. I do like Tom and Lauren and their enthusiasm is brilliant but they do repeat themselves a lot and there is only so much I can take. We were away last week and I gave myself a complete break from it but will restart in a few days and look at the lessons I haven't viewed so far.

Sky has learnt boundaries over the years just by the clever use of DH's voice - she doesn't need a physical boundary and Red is beginning to pick up on this nicely. I use the same method.

Red is very engaged and loves the games. My difficulty is recall with her in stimulating environments. Around the house and garden she follows me like a lamb :p.

I am hoping to add to my toolbox - even Sky wants to join in which is great to see :).

Joy, snowbunny and selina27 like this.
  18. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Walking Red earlier this evening - came round a corner and there were two people running towards us - wasn't room for us all to pass each other. I stopped and said 'middle' to Red and she quickly altered her position from beside me to through my legs. The runners acknowledged this by saying thank you as they passed by. I was so chuffed with her :).

drjs@5, edzbird, Cath and 3 others like this.
  19. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

You are right, it is about relationships. My other choc lab Fiona stayed close to me all the time even in multiple dog settings. I could always recall her no matter what. She and I spent so much one on one time together that it really paid off!! I do believe it also depends on the dog. With Spencer I'm not sure he will be the same. He seems so attached to me but I can't reach him sometimes. He isn't a constant tail wagger like most labs are. He seems happy but I feel like something is missing somehow. Not sure what to do or what I can change to make things better. I wonder if it may be due to his being older- 31/2 months when I brought him home? Fiona was 8 weeks when I got her. Does anyone know if this could make a difference? Or could it be that his attachment to his "sister" the 7 month old golden is the problem?

20. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

No I don't think this makes any difference. We got Sky at 5 months and Red at 8 weeks. Maybe it is still early days and the bonds will get stronger.