I've run out of things to buy and read about Labradors .....

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Jane Martin, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: I've run out of things to buy and read about Labradors .....

Hi there,I have Dexter my first dog,a yellow boy 20 months old ( always get a twinge when I add a month to his age :(....gonna stop when he's 2 and just say he's 2......for a whole year ;D) we live in Dubai but I'm heading back to the UK and Liverpool tomorrow where I originally come form so I have been a bit hectic getting ready and slow to say hi x

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi Scalley (is that how you spell it?). Thanks for taking time in your busy schedule to say hello. Bon voyage!

3. Dexter

Ha ha ha ha,it took me a couple of secs to realise what you mean!i would have spelt it Scally,but I don't think it makes any difference!let me see how I can describe this for everyone else on the Forum who doesn't know what we mean !Scally is a slangy/colloquial name given to a certain group of Liverpool people ,they usually have the really strong Liverpool accent and in the 80's were famous for their fashion sense 'Shell Suit tracksuits' ha ha ha,they are usually up to no good too....but I'm putting a massive disclaimer in here that if you have a strong accent and like to wear a shell suit that in no way automatically means you are up to no good! ;D don't want to offend anyone at all xxx
    Just had a FaceTime call from my boys ;D all looking good,Dex not really reacting to my face on the screen but he was to my voice :'(.....ah I miss him,got a thoroughbred horse size redsetter here keeping me company though ! X

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ha! ;D
    I am so glad you explained that Angela...
    I was scrolling back through the thread yesterday thinking "have we a new member called Scalley that I have missed? Is there a secret bit on profiles where there a nicknames?"
    All is now clear :D

5. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good old Wiki : Scallie

6. Jane Martin

Sorry! I meant it in a warm way but now that I have read the Definition from the last link it seems impolite and not amusing. Big foot and big mouth (that's me)! Happy Easter in Liverpool!

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think that descriptor suits Angel perfectly....
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(only joking! I think the reverse id nearer the truth ;) )

8. Dexter

It was quite interesting reading,I'd forgotten about the football connection .......and Damon!in Brookside!ah our teenage selves at school,were all a little bit in love with him :*
    Liverpool is great! Seen everyone's new houses ( mum and dad downsized...brother and SIL and kids upsized,luckily still space in both places for the visiting dubai family branch and their collection of empty suitcases!agility set not arrived from amazon yet!....although there is a card through the door that there is something at the depot to collect ;D) off on a train trip to the seaside with my nephews today...weather not great but to,be honest the train is the excitement as much as the destination when you are 2 and 3!)
    Sorry to totally hijack your thread ........I'll bring it back to topic...one of my books that's arrived for the summer in Doobs is Dog Tricks and Agility for Dummies.....probably not appropriate for what you need at the moment but I'll let you know how we get on with it!x

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and our 6 month old chocolate lab called Benson. This forum has been a godsend, especially when things don't go quite according to plan and you get a bit stuck, worried or frustrated! There is always someone to give sensible advice or just share those moments with...we all have them! :) ::)

10. Lynn

Lynn Registered Users

Welcome from Lynn and my choc lab Robyn x

11. Jane Martin

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have started reading "In defence of dogs" on my kindle. But I also find I am re-reading "The Happy Puppy" in bed of all places!
    Now that my pup has been born (3 days old) and the new floor is all booked, I can really seriously think of names. It's a chocolate bitch.
    Naya, I DO have photos but don't have permission from the breeder to publish them, so I will wait until I have personally taken photos of my pup before I can show her off.
    Very excited :D :D

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very exciting for sure! :D

What sort of names do you like and what sort of names do you not like? Are there any specific things (places, experiences, characteristics) that you want to reference? :)

13. Jane Martin

Regarding names: I'm a bit stuck but I am hoping I will suddenly have a brainwave and it will appear as if dropped from the heavens! Hmm ... Angel? Then she'd be "Jelly" for short ;D
    I do have a little list going, I'm not sure if I am brave enough to say them!
    Well one on my list is "Chepi". And that's who she might be. It's Native American Indian for "Fairy" or "Ghost". What do you think? ???

14. Oberon

Chepi is a good name - easy to say, easy to call out in the park, and not likely to be shared by other dogs. And it's cute without being cutesy. I like it!

I have a duck called Jelly (short for Magellan) so I actually like that name too ;D

What else is on your list? :)

15. Jane Martin

Because she is from Cumbria which has a history of Norse inhabitants, I have Beck (stream); Penn (Hill - she's born on the hillside); Kari (Pure), Kara (wild and windy!); Kendal (as in mint cake).
    Perhaps I will stick with Chepi, for all the reasons you said. Have to practise it out loud. Chepi! Chep! Come Chepi! ;)

16. Oberon

I like all those other names too - I can see why you are finding it hard to choose :)

I love the idea of calling a puppy after a mint cake so my vote is going with Kendal! :D But you couldn't go wrong with any of those names - they are all great.

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I like all the names :) . How exciting to choose!

Although, everyone always thinks "mint cake" after Kendal... which is not necessarily a bad thing! ;D

18. Jane Martin

I can see that I'll just have to wait until I see her 8)

19. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Hi Jane,
    yes, it was your post that made me smile...I've been reading avidly but I've had to stop because I'm waiting for my plans to be finalised before I can really push ahead and get excited. At the mo' I'm restricting myself to Forum browsing and trying to solve the practical problem of a backyard which has been resolved now thx to the forums members!!
    Tell the story of how you found the right breeder, made contact, questions asked etc.. I think it would make a great read.

20. Jane Martin

Hi John, I have started a puppy journal which I thought I might blog but have no idea how to do it! Then maybe people might get bored!
    The new floor went down this week with puppy rugs; the cats have been showing the sliding dàngers in Tom and Jerry style. So more strategically placed non slip mats are needed.
    Two weeks today I will be seeing the pups for the first time, in person. Very exciting!
    I have just been reading the "that's it - I give up" thread and realised it's time to book the clicker puppy training class; NOW it's starting to feel real! 8)