Jackie's training journal

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by SevandJack, May 8, 2016.

1. SevandJack

SevandJack Registered Users

First day of training with an actual trainer.

My sister and I had both signed up for a BASICS 1 course, her with her 2-year-old American Cockerspaniel O'Neill, and me with Jackie. A sort of dog training/sibling bonding thing.
    As such, we had the two oldest dogs on the course, though a Springer Spaniel (that REALLY didn't like Jackie) was close at a year.

Other dogs included two Cairn Terrier puppies, two Golden Retrievers (one quite small at 10 weeks, one at...20 weeks, I think), a chihuahua at 9 weeks, and a toy poodle at 11 weeks. There was also a pair of lovely other pups that I don't remember what were (one was a vizsla, I think?).

It was hot as an oven at the training grounds, and Jackie was absolutely STOKED to be close to so many other dogs. The trainer and I agreed that he was too excited to play with the puppies, as most of them were roughly the size of chew toys, so he stayed on lead the entire time.
    He managed most of the exercises really well, though two...harder.
    Unfortunately, that was the react-to-your-name exercise (Too many other dogs! Too much NEW!) and the 'Heel' exercise. We'll have to work harder on those two. He did well with the nose-bop, and he has a wonderful 'sit'.

Half-way through the class, he decided that the normal treats I use weren't good enough, so he started spitting them out, the ungrateful little troll. I had to break out the extra-special sausage-treats. It turns out I should have brought more of those.

When the other dogs were training recall, Jackie and I were sent to one of those large A-ramps on the other side of the training field. The task was 'get Jackie to run up the ramp and 'sit' at the top', so that's what we spent some time doing. Jackie took to it very easy and liked sitting up on the ramp, cause he could see the other dogs better that way. My Mom, who sat on the sidelines today with the other family participants, said that the trainer praised Jackie and me, but we were so far away that we couldn't hear a thing.
    (The trainer said that it was probably better to wait until the next session to train recall, when Jackie had gotten more used to the format and other dogs, and she'd bring an assistant. That way, if he gets too excited and goes to try to play with the TINY puppies, we'd have some help corralling him. She also said to bring a long-line and gloves.)

All in all, it felt like a good day of training, though I sort-of expected Jackie to be more tired when we got home.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Glad it went well :) I would've been exhausted - you packed a lot in! :)

SevandJack likes this.
  3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Glad you and Jackie enjoyed your training day :)

SevandJack likes this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

A good start to Jackie's training and yours. Hope it continues to. x :)

SevandJack likes this.
  5. SevandJack

The second session of training.

We've been working on the stuff from last time every day. He's been a bit iffy with heel, honestly, but we got some tips from the trainer today.

There was a pretty clear difference this time, as Jackie was much more responsive with me. We did recall training today, same as the other dogs this time, and he was just wonderful, bounding up to me eagerly. He didn't manage to control his speed, tried to swerve at the last moment, failed, and knocked us both over. We tried several times completely off lead after that (he'd been on long-lead at that first attempt, just in case one of the puppies caught his attention.) and he was absolutely fine. He responds to his name much better now, though he also responds to "heeeeey" as that's what I've been saying when he turns to look at me. "Jackie! Heeeey! Good boy!"

Then we were going to start on dummy-training, but Jackie had no interest in the one I brought, though it is one of his favs at home. Gonna work on it at home.

We started to work on "leave it!" as well.

We did a small environment course (I don't know what those are called in English.) where there were things they had to walk on and under and through for treats. Jackie was only slightly nervous about the tunnel but only hesitated for a second.

We also started whistle training, though Jackie was a bit confused about it, I think. We'll work on it.

Now for the negative, because I really feel the need to complain about this one woman. It had been her husband that had brought their puppy last time. She either wasn't aware of the etiquette or didn't care to follow it. She stood at the pole next to Jackie and me, in the training circle, but didn't keep her puppy near her pole (like everyone else in the circle did) and let him saunter right up to Jackie, who I was keeping close. Of course, Jackie was gently playful, but she couldn't know that. There was a touchy/growly older spaniel pup on the other side of the circle. She had NO way of knowing Jackie wouldn't snarl at the puppy. I really dislike it when people don't follow the known etiquette.
    She also brought two very young children with her, who almost hit my sister in the head with a thrown ball that continued into the middle of the circle and nearly hit the puppy on the opposite side. I really wish they'd stuck with the rest of the watching family, rather than just fricking around the training area. UGH, I know I shouldn't judge, but I found the whole thing very stressful.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Sounds like a good session, especially the excellent recall.

SevandJack likes this.
  7. SevandJack

Third Training Day.

First things First: Jackie peed on the trainers leg THREE TIMES today. I was MORTIFIED. To be clear, I didn't just let him walk up to her, she was demonstrating techniques for me and when she gave him a treat, he walked up behind her and peed on her while she was explaining. SHE was holding the leash. Okay, maybe an excuse, but I'm holding on to it.

Things are going better, though he still whines when I don't let him romp around with the puppies. He got to play with the trainers dog for a while on lead, but he kept trying to hump the poor boy.

"Heel" is doing better. His recall is going well. He is much better at the "Leave it " command now, and "boop" is also really doing well. He still refuses to touch the dummy while on the training field. We practised walking nicely on lead which went well.

We started working on "Stay", though it seems like that will be a really hard one for Jackie. I could barely take half a step back before he was hurrying after me.

charlie likes this.
  8. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

I'd hold on to that excuse to :nod:, it sounds like Jackie's training is coming along nicely. :)

SevandJack likes this.
  9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ha ha....I remember this dog at training class....think it was a Weimaraner. Did it to our trainer when him and the owner were chatting in the middle. Don't think either the trainer or owner noticed but the rest of us were in fits of suppressed laughter

SevandJack likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Well done, training seems to be going well. Don't worry about Jackie peeing on the trainer. When Hattie was a puppy she was always beside herself to get to our trainer and regularly peed on his shoes, I must add he always saw the funny side. Hattie is 8 years old now and I swear if she saw Ray she would pee on his shoes. It must be love :D x

SevandJack likes this.
  11. SevandJack

Fourth training day, and it was city walk day.

*deep sigh* I swear I've been training leash walking, but you wouldn't know it by how it went today. Jackie was completely out of it. We kept to the back of the pack, but he was pulling like a freight train. My arms must be several inches longer. He didn't care about the treats, and he managed to pee on every single obstacle on the hour long walk. He ignored every attempt at getting contact unless I was kneeling directly in front of him.

Just generally a discouraging day.

charlie likes this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Don't be discouraged, a city walk is full of distractions, lots of noise, people, cars etc. Is this a new experience for Jackie? How long did you walk in the city for? I would just do very short trips slowly building them up, take very high value treats maybe roast chicken, sausage or something Jackie really values when you go. Finish on a high, so when Jackie is walking well call it a day with lots of praise. Sorry can't help with the peeing as my boy Charlie doesn't pee on anything only going when he needs to go and neither does my girl Hattie which I am grateful for. :)

Don't forget we ALL have bad training days even the professionals, tomorrow is a new day. Keep going as taking on a rescue is never easy, I know I've got one :rolleyes::) xx

SevandJack likes this.
  13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes don't be discouraged, an hour is a very long time to have to concentrate on lead walking ( for both of you;) )

SevandJack likes this.
  14. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I couldn't even contemplate taking Coco on a leash walk with a bunch of other dogs, so well done you for even attempting it. Don't be discouraged, your training is going great - try to pick out all the positives. Rescue dogs can be a long journey, but so worth it.

charlie and SevandJack like this.
  15. SevandJack

Thanks guys.

I think I was so discouraged because the trainer singled us out at the end of the walk and asked us how we felt it had gone. Probably not meant to be discouraging.

There was also the disparity between how well Jackie usually does and how he did there. Jackie hardly pulls at all anymore, and his focus on me is really good normally. I should have worked on more on his desensitization to crowds.

16. SevandJack

Fifth training day,
    It went well. We expanded on our old commands, especially contact exercise. We also "learned" lay down, though Jackie knew that one already. I still can't get Jackie to respond to the dummy at all away from the house. He just ignores it completely. We finished the class with a test to see if any of the dogs were afraid of the sound of gunshots. Jackie perked up his ears, but otherwise didn't respond.
    Next week is the end of this class, then we start BASIS 2 in the fall.

drjs@5 and Joy like this.
  17. SevandJack

He's become a proper teenager, it seems, though I guess I should be happy that he's settled in so well. He's destroyed a sofa last month, and two pillows this week. He still jumps when excited, though I have managed to curb the nipping. He's started to stand in front of me and bark at me when he doesn't get his way. Not aggressively, more like he's talking back in a huffy sort of way. This morning we had to pick him up in the village. We don't know how he got out, but I think mom must have accidentally let him out and not realiz ed when she got home from work this morning.

18. SevandJack

Last day of BASIS 1. Jackie and I got tons of praise from the trainer and the other students. We were "tested" on the commands we've learned and ja

19. SevandJack

Oops, I hit send by mistake. Jackie did really well today. He was a bit distracted, but managed to get through it all really well.

drjs@5 likes this.
  20. SevandJack

Bit miffed. Told my dad about all the praise for Jackie and I from the trainer and the other students, and he made a dismissive comment about it, then in the next breath he commented on how wonderfully behaved my sister's dog is. Trainer said I'd done a massively good job with Jackie and the other students agreed, but now I feel like...maybe I didn't. I mean, I know that I can't expect too much too soon, but I haven't even got him to stop jumping.