Jenny was spayed

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ReneeS., Jan 10, 2017.

1. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Hello everyone,
    Haven't been here for awhile with the holidays and Jenny helping me (?) and she was spayed last Tuesday. She is a full time 24/7 since bringing her home. She spent one night at vets afterwards and came home with pain med for two days (they gave her pain med in a.m. day we brought her home) with her cone. Also sedatives to take every 12 hours because she is so high strung. The day after she developed diahhrea (spelling?) . Called vet and it could have been from stress over whole procedure, or her pain meds. Not sure. Switched her to boiled chicken and white rice diet for a few days, and it seems to be straightening out her system, not completely 100% yet but getting there. The poor thing just hates the collar, can't blame her. She gets her stitches out next Monday,6 more loooooong days. Weather is pretty crappy, still take her out on lease to do her business and then quick walk around the yard. We walk around the house inside, kitchen to dining room, to living room, to hallway, to family room, and back to kitchen and repeat a few times. I can't leave her loose, first thing she tries is jumping up to counter or chairs, not good for stitches John and I have been switching off sleeping in family room at night to keep eye on her. I will be so happy when she is done with the cone. I feel so sorry for her but necessary.
    I've included some new pix in separate posting, too much for this one posting. Jenny was six months old Dec. 16th. She is doing great, John and I will need a rest when this is over. I went thru this with my beloved Coco fourteen years ago, but you forget and I was fourteen years younger and before two back surgeries.

2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Fingers crossed the days pass quickly, she will be as fit as a fiddle before you know it. It's nice you have someone to share the sleeping on the sofa with, it does make it a little easier I can imagine you will need a holiday after it is all over. :)

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear.
    It all sounds a bit traumatic.
    Poor thing (well all of you really)
    It will pass before you know it. Take the opportunity if you can to do a bit of brain training of you can.
    Jac

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I used the time when Harley had her spay to do brain training. I would take the collar off whilst we were training so I could hide treats in a box and let her get it out. I also hid treats around the house then got her to find them, making it harder to find each time.
    Hopefully the next 6 days will go quickly.

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sounds like Jenny is having a tough time. Hope these 6 days pass quickly & she's on the mend.

6. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

Just been through that nightmare and know exactly what you mean. Ours ended up using the cone of shame as a weapon and a tool but she had dissolving stitches so we took it off a day before we were suppose to. But do try to reduce the jumping around - ours still dodged and ran a little and we had to really crack down when you could feel swelling come up as a lump under her skin on one side of the stitches.

When I gave 1 tablet instead of half and got through the pain medication in 2 days the only thing they asked at the vet was if she had been upset and we had no issues so that issue might be the medication.

And we had tantis since she was up for going for a decent walk and was reduced to only out front on the lead then back in after the first 5 days. Kongs filled with peanut butter did help during the witching hour most days.

7. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Jenny is on sedatives, one every 12 hours to calm her down because she is such a hyper dog per the vet. She is doing fine diahhrea finally cleared up. She unfortunately spends a lot of crate time because even on the sedatives when she is in the kitchen she tries to jump at the counters and chairs. I walk her around the house a lot on lease and she loves it I think she thinks it is some sort of a game. She dozes a lot because of the sedatives, more in the beginning than now, but she is still healing and needs her rest. She loves the frozen kongs and now that the diahhrea has cleared up, she can have them again. We have to watch her with the cone, she will manage to turn it just right so edge is right where she can chew! She manages to loosen the temporary collar holding the cone on so have to check it often. She almost pulled the whole thing off once, will take her front paws and put them on the cone and try to pull it over her head. Started rubbing bitter apple on the cone where she was chewing, works for awhile then back to chewing on it. I keep turning the cone so the seam is above her head but she manages to turn it. I feel so sorry for her, only four more loooooong days left. Monday stitches come out and hopefully no more cone.

8. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Hopefully she doesn't take it off and eat the cone like Axel did today o_O