John's idea!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jane Martin, May 16, 2014.

1. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

Re: John's idea!

What a wonderful adventure you have been on to find the dog of your dreams. I can't wait to see the photos!

2. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

I think Chepi is a brill name. I hope you have lot's of fun finally deciding ;)

3. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

In three days' time I should know who my dog is! I travel on Wednesday, stay overnight in the local pub and see the pups on Thursday morning. I can stay all day or even book another night at the pub and go back Friday if I can't decide. EEK! I have a calm inner assurance that all will be fine. I am trying not to think of who is bold; who is quiet; who is a prettier shade of chocolate - I just think it will all fall into place and one of the girls will choose me.
    What do I do if all three girls cuddle up to me??? :-\

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=6002.msg82291#msg82291 date=1401137040]
    What do I do if all three girls cuddle up to me??? :-\
    [/quote]
    Be in seventh heaven?

5. Jane Martin

I have been told I can only have one. (The breeder told me :eek:). AHH - it'll be fine!!! :-\ :-\ :-\

6. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Ah Jane, I bet you are so excited! :D
    We have began counting down the sleeps, we go on Sunday morning to pick our little girl she will be 6 weeks. And we have arranged to pick her up to come home on the 11th June.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So, a few sleepless nights coming up, Jane? ;)

Choose the one that just feels right to you. And take your time. And take photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yes, pics!! Please!!! :D

9. Jane Martin

Nicola the timing went a bit wrong for me as I thought I'd be choosing at 6 weeks and ironically didn't you want to go sooner than 6 weeks? Your pup will be home before mine; we are about 10 days after you - so I will be really interested in your first week (just tell me all the good stuff!).

10. Jane Martin

The day finally arrived: I was driving the 5-6 hour journey North during the half term holidays, leaving on the Wednesday, seeing the pups Thursday morning and driving back South in the afternoon.
    I had sat Tuesday night with the hand towel I was depositing my scent on, wrapped around my neck, making sure I was all ready to go.
    The next morning, tyres checked, water checked and oil checked, I set off with my significant other. He was not only keeping me company but was an integral part of getting my pup, being volunteered to puppy sit when needed. The weather was filthy! The rain hammered down and visibility on the various motorways was reduced almost to a white-out - for most of the journey.

We stopped a couple of times for a snack but I was becoming increasingly tired; at one point I put my head down on the table in the motorway services restaurant and nearly fell asleep. This wasn't like me. Actually, later I began to feel really unwell.
    AT LAST, signs for The Lakes started to appear and I knew we were almost there. Just a few hours of sitting in front of the pub fire and one sleep to go.

I really didn't sleep much and felt awful. As I was feeling awful during the night, I worried that I would be too ill to see the pups the next day. All that driving for nothing!
    I did wake up feeling dreadful but struggled on and went to see the pups.

You CAN feel awful and wonderful at the same time! After coffee and a chat with the breeder I was fairly desperate to see the pups. There they were, just six of them. I stepped into their little pen and sat quietly to see what would happen. Seconds later, one of the pups strode over (the rest were asleep). I knew I had the first choice of the 3 chocolate girls and there was 1 chocolate boy. I didn't know the sex of this bold pup as it claimed me: licking both of my hands first then eventually squirming its way up to my neck, making me laugh with its frantic tail-wagging and snuggling into and licking my neck. I thought this was probably the boy (it would be too good to be true for it to be one of the girls).
    I know I should have checked but it didn't seem right as we were just cuddling so much. The other pups woke up and some came to say hello but this one pup would not leave me. The breeder had left us in peace saying we could stay as long as we liked but she returned to see how it was going. It turned out that all 4 chocolate pups were girls, so 'MY' pup wasn't a boy - that was it then, I didn't really look at another pup as puppy and I had somehow found each other. :D :D

Before we drove back ( me driving as it was my car, still sick :'(), my pup was micro-chipped in front of me. She didn't even notice it happening! Definitely mine then. Chepi is her name. (If you haven't already read about her you won't know that her name means fairy in Native American Indian - a sort of echo from my search for a Chesapeake Bay Retriever)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    041 by jchambersmartin, on Flickr[/img]

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fabulous :) You're going to have a wonderful life together.

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

What a wonderful experience Jane, even if you did feel rotten, hoping you feel better now ?

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fab story :) I know you will make a fantastic mum to Chepi :D

14. Jane Martin

Katie, hi! I am still coughing etc, but feel more a part of the world, thanks for asking :)

15. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

What a great story. Still no pics?

16. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Ah what a great recount of your first meet. X

17. Jane Martin

AnnetteB Hi, there's a link to a photo on the bottom my post on the 5th but I will have another go ???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/url]Chepi cropped by jchambersmartin, on Flickr[/img]

18. Jane Martin

I'll try another one; it may actually come out instead of a link.
    [​IMG][/url]image by jchambersmartin, on Flickr[/img]

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Fiddled with your pic links Jane - was there just the one? - can't get another to show but there was a load of text there so just checking.

Lovely, lovely :) :)
    Do hope you are feeling better - a combination of all the excitement along with a bug maybe. Poor you :(

20. Jane Martin

Jacqui, thanks for getting the photos to work! I was hoping someone would! Still coughing and suffering a bit with my cold but slowly moving toward being better. 2 weeks to go :eek: ??? :) :) :)