Judy: A Dog in a Million by Damien Lewis

Discussion in 'Books' started by Merla, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Saw this in the supermarket and downloaded it as an ibook. It tells the story, as pieced together as far as possible by the author, of an English Pointer who was 'adopted' by a Navy ship prior to the start of the Second World War, and her story from then on, including time in PoW work camps.

The author is primarily a war writer, although I know he's done some other war-dog books. It's not an easy read as he doesn't pull any punches when describing details of war and death, but he tells it like someone who loves, respects and understands dogs and is genuinely in awe of how canine company can make so much difference to people in trouble. Also, from a historical perspective, he honestly acknowledges that he had to interpolate between stories from different sources and might have got things wrong.

A very interesting and touching read - will definitely consider some of his other dog books.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Judy: A Dog in a Million by Damien Lewis

My Mother gave me this book years ago, I must have another read :)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Thanks Kath,I'm travelling in a week and could do with some books to download....my mettle will be tested with this one for sure.....you know I cry when I read the Health board on here ! X

4. Merla

Merla Registered Users

I did actually think that if you read it, it might be a three tissue box job, Angela!! You might end up cursing me ;D ;D