Just a bit wierd ...

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Fwhitt246, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Don't know whether it's anything to do with getting the kitten but Murphy has been acting a bit wierd:
    -he hasn't been rushing to eat his food like normal and even leaving some breakfast
    - he's very panty even when he hasn't been doing anything
    - he's drinking lots of water (but then again it has been quote warm)
    - he keeps whining/crying at night when we put him to bed in the kitchen which he hasn't done since he was a puppy (although this maybe because the kitten is loose in the living room which murphy can see through the baby gate)
    - he won't settle, is constantly pacing, even in the evenings when he usually just snoozes.
    - his recall had gone to pot and he keeps legging it miles to see other dogs!!

I think that's everything... I think probably it's just maybe he's a bit anxious with the cat around??

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Just a bit wierd ...

I'd say that the changes that have come with the cat and also the warmer weather are the major factors that you've already identified.

How old is Murphy now? :)

3. Fwhitt246

He turned one a couple of weeks ago. He's getting the snip next Friday as well ...

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, I'm not sure legging it and ignoring his recall might be to do with the cat...

Any bitches in heat around at all?

5. Oberon

I wonder if there are any bitches on heat in your neighbourhood? Just a random thought....

I see Julie had the same thought :)

6. Fwhitt246

Not that I know of but that could be why he's acting wierd. At least if that's the case then after next Friday he won't be bothered. As we've said I think it's cat and weather related. I just don't like it when he is acting differently, I don't want him to be unhappy :( I'm sure he's prob not but that's what I worry about, along with him not knowing that we love him more than anything. (I think I'm going abit mad lol)

7. Oberon

I'm sure he feels loved, even if there is a new member of the family :)

Maybe spend a bit of time going back to basics with his recall (lots of mini recalls on lead while walking, and lots of mini recalls off lead while he's close to you off lead) which will both reinforce his tendency to pay attention and come back to you, and will also mean extra affection and treats from his perspective - a win-win :)

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Your description is just how my two behave when next doors jack russell is in season. They are not close neighbours either there is a big field between us so there might be a dog in season in your vicinity. When you come in from a walk what is he like?

Having said that the kitten could also be why he won't settle. Dogs aren't keen on change. My old lab, also Murphy, did not like change. When my cousin who we share a back yard with got a new dog Murphy went weird and didn't want to go out to bed ! They get used to it though. Murphy and pip ended up best mates I'm sure your Murphy and the kitten will as well. :)

9. Fwhitt246

Hes now started eating lots of grass and didnt eat a carrot that my oh gave he usually wolfs it down!

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I can't really help Frankie,you don't feel he's poorly,if his eating has changed and he's whining....but that's lack of experience with me suggesting that.....you know me,I'm an 'if in doubt call the vet ' advocate !
    How is he today? X

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I don't have any ideas either - like Angela, I am wondering if he has settled down?

12. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds like a bitch in season to me too coupled with changes at home making him generally unsettled. If we have visitors when they go riley is very distracted and a bit confused.

13. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone :)

He's still very panty and won't settle but I think it is mainly the heat and the changes. Although of course it could be a bitch in heat and me just not knowing! I have to take kitten to the vets on Monday morn for his jabs so I am going to mention it all to her then and see what she thinks. He is getting castrated on Friday and I know they don't like doing it if they are ill so il see what she says. He's really clingy as well which is actually quite sweet :)

14. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

It does sound like it could be a combination of things, like the others have said - the new kitten, coupled with perhaps a bitch in season somewhere (they can sense it from an amazing distance).

Plus also it could be him growing out of his puppyhood. With Penny we have only just recently noticed it - obviously it must have been a gradual process but it's got to the point now where it feels like we just woke up one day and she's an adult! (She's 18months old now)

15. Fwhitt246

Thanks everyone. Yes Lauren it could just be where he's calmed down a bit as he's got older. I also think the heat is a big issue as when it was cooler on Sunday he was normal and then today as it was hot he's been wierd again. In fact as I write this he is led outside in the garden in the grass on his own. He asked to go out and now won't come in! He's never done anything like this before lol. But it is noticeably cooler outside compared to in my house so I wonder if he's just hot?!
    Oh these dogs do like to try us!

16. Oberon

Dogs don't cool down as easily as us so if you find the weather hot he's probably roasting. Might a plastic paddling pool be a good addition? :)

17. Fwhitt246

Rachael I have been meaning to get one for ages but keep forgetting. I think I will order one right now :)

18. Oberon

Fantastic :)

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

My two behave differently when it's very warm.

When it's cool normal temperature they will go to sleep in an evening at about 7.30pm to 8pm. When it's been hot during the day they sleep more so as the evening is slightly cooler they start messing about.

Scout has just spent about 45 mins fetching me his rope to get a treat. He brings it, treat, takes it away for a bit then brings it back. Not daft my dog ::)

Scott always flops first but they will play with each other for a bit first. When they eventually flop it's in completely different places to where they usually would. I guess the coolest parts of the room.

They like to keep us guessing these dogs. ;)

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Jen link=topic=6537.msg89191#msg89191 date=1403037031]
    When they eventually flop it's in completely different places to where they usually would. I guess the coolest parts of the room.
    [/quote]

Yup, Riley's been doing the same, more sleep in the day then tucking himself in odd corners or up against doors where he'd normally use his bed.

Strange beasts !