Just a nice little post , Nell

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Sep 8, 2017.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Its five months ago today that we made the trip to fetch Nell from the home where she was in the way and no longer wanted .I wanted to share the day as it had its funny moments , firstly getting hopelessly lost . We had taken Sam , plus my daughter and young Grandson , as it was vital that any new addition got along with them too , it was a warm day and I had promised lunch out after a short beach trip , then going to see Nell at around 1.p.m. Due to " someone " taking the wrong road , we finally arrived in Torquay about two hours later than expected, but the bucket and spade brigade were not to be disappointed so we eventually found the dog friendly beach, but the tide was in , leaving us with a strip of pebbles about six feet wide , never mind , we smiled as we caught our breath after clambering down about a hundred steps . Then to find a nice country pub , easier said than done in an unknown area and so, in desperation at the onset of time , we pulled into a well known fast food venue , much to the delight of my grandson and had to sit outside because of Sam . The only table was right by the drive through window , the fuel fumes were terrible , as was the noise from the bypass right next to the restaurant which was on an industrial estate and not quite what we`d had in mind ! All somewhat stressed, me in panic mode about the possible addition , food was fetched . I looked at my grandson, happily tucking into his e factors , he was smiling broadly and then declared " This is the life " ! So , then to find the house which was on a huge estate , like a maze it was as we went in deeper and deeper until eventually we found it, more luck than judgement ! So , we all troop in and Sam immediately ate the cat food , so he was banished to the tiny garden , where, horror of horrors and too late ,I spotted a picnic laid out for the lady`s little girl , gone in seconds ! We handed over the money and get the heck out as quickly as possible before my dog showed me up further , Nell tucked under my arm and into the car with her little leaving home bag ! Five months on , she had made the most wonderful little dog , her deafness is no barrier to her enjoyment of life , she is off lead much of the time, apart from the beach which is far too big an expanse for her to cope with, or rather for me to feel comfortable in my control . She comes to the whistle , the one sound she can hear , and I love to see her running to me . Her troublesome knee is much better since I started her on supplements and a low dose of Metacam which I reduce every week , she shows no signs of pain or discomfort and the carrying of the leg has lessened remarkably . She and Sam rub along very nicely , she seems to have developed a hero worship towards him and has copied his behaviour which is great . Best of all , she adores my husband , so we have a His and Hers pair ! Love them both so much x

Granca, Sven, Kelsey&Axel and 6 others like this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Kate, I just love your stories, living with Paul sounds like a constant adventure.
    You have an enormous heart and Millie's gap was just a perfect size for little Miss Nell, I am sure I am not the only one who was over the moon when you took the plunge again.
    Nell has truly fallen on her paws with you guys.
    Long and happy woodland walks for you all xxxx

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Absolutely second what Jac says Kate; I so hoped you would find another dog to love and care for after dear Millie was gone. Never stop updating us on your two wonderful dogs, they are very special! xxx

4. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I'm so happy that you rescued little Nell! She's where she truly belongs with gorgeous Sam guiding her!

Love hearing about both of their adventures xx

5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Lovely story :)

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Lovely to read this Kate. I'm so glad you rescued little Nell and that you came back to the forum :)

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

So good you got her she's really completed the family hugs to you all.

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

This was wonderful to read. It seems like Nell has been part of your little band for much longer than five months, but then it also seems like you just got her. You all were very lucky that day to find each other. :heart:

kateincornwall and SwampDonkey like this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

:heart: Home Sweet Home :heart: There's nothing I love more than a happy ending and this is. Nell is a lucky little girl to have you Kate, Paul, Sam and family. xxxxx

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Ahhhh....has it only been 5 months? It seems like longer, maybe because she feels like so much part of your family now :)

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a super 5 months Nell's had - here's to many, many more.

kateincornwall and selina27 like this.
  12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Dear little Nell, I am so happy she has found such a wonderful home.

13. Granca

Granca Registered Users

How lucky that you found Nell. I hope she has many more happy times ahead with Sam and your family.