Just wondering

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Tatti, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

im just wondering if anyone else has noticed that sometimes when you are giving your dog attention (and this usually happens in the morning when she is very happy to see me). After going in for a face lick, bottom wagging, they then starts washing themselves. It happens so often with me that my husband and I have made a bit of a joke about it.

Our family dynamic is definitely one where my husband is best friend- he plays lots, does most of the walking and she adores him. I am more of the mum, I feed her and do most of the training (all positive reinforcement training of course).

I don't get the impression it's a submissive thing, but it's definitely more than coincidence. Any ideas? It's obviously not a problem, I'm just interested :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

You know something in reading this post I've just realised ......Dexter never licks/washes himself....he might have the odd nibble and scratch but I've never seen him groom himself!!!!Probably because he has me totally enslaved to his every need! X

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I haven't really noticed any links or times for self-cleaning operations in our house.
    I should maybe pay more attention!

4. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Jura does this every morning. Bounces all over OH and myself, lots of good morning wags and kisses, then settles down for a grooming session!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's totally normal - early mornings and late evenings are the pack going to sleep/waking up, and it's mutual grooming time. The dog would probably appreciate you licking his/her er....anyway. :D:D:D

It's most apparent in the evenings in our house. Everyone in bed, dogs lick human ears, each other's ears, their bits...a big licky grooming session, pack cuddle, then bed.

This is when petting and cuddles are reinforcing for dogs, I believe. Not when they are working and training.

Tatti likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley tends to do this in the mornings too :)

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have never seen my two washing themselves, perhaps they do it in secret! After all, I am a girl and they are boys :D

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

No link for me between attention and the cleaning, however... if I gave Brogan a hug or kiss (which he did not appreciate to say the least) he would then stand up, shake, and sneeze. Every. Single. Time. I called it "getting rid of the girl cooties". :D

edzbird likes this.
  9. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ugh. Ella has a cleaning routine at about 5.30am that starts with a bit of a scratch, shake and lick and finishes with a major slurpy licking of her lady bits :eek:

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Our three love a good play, bonding session in the early evenings, this usually precedes a time of quiet licking, nibbling and nuzzling each other and humans. Sometimes even the cats are involved! Then they find a comfy bed and usually that's it for the night. Love it! :)

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

How gorgeous :inlove: