Keeping bandage foot dry in this weather!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Stacia, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Drift, my older Lab, pulled his dew claw a few days ago, I hoped it would sort itself out, but last night he pulled it even more and there was blood all over the kitchen. I took him the vet today and he had to have an anaesthetic and have the claw removed, he now has his foot bandaged and I am told to keep it dry!!!!!! Any ideas how to keep his foot dry in this weather! The vet didn't have a drip bag which I believe are very good.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Keeping bandage foot dry in this weather!

Could you maybe use a couple of freezer bags , fastened to the bandage with parcel tape ? Poor lad , I bet that really hurt him :(

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Gosh. Um....one of those disposable stretchy latex boots, cut the toes off and pull it up his leg? Check it's not too tight. I had a horse with a cut on the bottom of her leg and did similar (not with a dog boot, obviously ::)).

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh my this is tricky. My previous dog had to have sutures on one pad, and it was spring time, muddy and wet everywhere. We rigged up a crude cover by wrapping a plastic bag around his foot and securing it with some elastic, which we put in every time he went out, but of course had to supervise closely and it really didn't last too well on walks (plus was slippery) so his outdoor time was severely restricted. My the end of the month he was actually depressed, poor thing, he retreated under our bed and would hardly come out even to eat. It was a grand day when we could dispense with the bag, let me tell you!!

This was quite a few years ages, I'm sure there are better ways of managing this kind of thing now a days but not sure what they are. Hopefully someone will have some better ideas.

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

No idea if the rubber is thick enough to resist claws but you can buy replacement rubber feet for drysuits. Would a child size one work? You might need to pad the foot inside.....

That's my random thought for the day ;D

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Juliet T, where would I get one of those disposable latex boots? I need to cover his whole foot as his paw is encased in bandage.

Thank you all for your ideas, much appreciated; don't know where I could get rubber feet for drysuits as we are in the Midlands and far from any water and if I managed to get them on internet, I hope, there would be no need for them! Has to go and see vet on Monday.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=3968.msg45898#msg45898 date=1389383380]
    Juliet T, where would I get one of those disposable latex boots? I need to cover his whole foot as his paw is encased in bandage.
    [/quote]

I don't know how far up his leg they would go if you need to cover the foot too (was thinking you could cut the toes off and pull it up).

http://canineconcepts.co.uk/en/dog-boots/3196-pawz-disposable-boots-12-boots.html

I've looked at these too (for a beach where there are lots of fishing hooks:(

http://www.dogbootsactive.com/

Edited to remove the link to a Zulu defender!

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Both those links are just what I could do with! But by the time they arrived it will be too lat - I hope! It will be a good idea for me to buy some anyway and keep them for emergencies. Thank you, very much appreciated.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

What about a verruca sock with the toe cut out so the paw is uncovered and some vet wrap around the top?
    We tried the vet wrap on its own for the carpal pad abrasion on our SILs dog but it just slipped off.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Never heard of a verruca sock, can I buy that at a chemist? I don't need to cut the toe out as the whole foot is covered in vet wrap and that is what has to be kept dry :(

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Stacia, sorry about Drift's claw sounds painful. Jac is right Pets at Home do a boot and I saw a dog with one on in the shop and the owner said they were excellent and kept her dogs foot totally dry. Hope he will be OK poor boy :(

13. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

In my experience whatever type of boot or device you buy for keeping a foot bandage dry, they never work. Even the old trick with a drip bag isn't foolproof! Best I've found is a couple of poo bags wrapped around the foot and stick to the concrete!

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Stacia, just trying to do a search for a verruca sock - I would have expected to be able to get one at a pharmacy, but their on-line stores don't seem to list it.
    You will be able to get one in a sports shop or even a swimming pool if there is one local to you, but might avoid the wait for on-line delivery.
    Saw this one advertised at JJB
    http://www.jjbsports.com/speedo-latex-socks-mens-880063
    Looks like they sell the Mikki dog boots at Pets at Home. Lilly hated it when she had to wear one - not sure the latex would have been better though. The Pawz latex boots seem to get good reviews.

15. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Stacia

Sorry only just seen this so you are probably sorted.

The way I delt with this problem was old sock over bandage. Then I folded cling film over itself about 6 times so it's 6 layers thick about the length of the bandage. Place the paw in the middle, fold cling film up and mold around paw and leg, secure with micropore bit of bandage to tie top. This can be reused if it doesn't get wet on the inside.

Jen :D

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hope Drift's paw is better soon.

I've had the same situation several times, and nothing really keeps the dressing properly dry, so I quickly learnt how to re-apply a fresh dressing each day.

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Sorry, didn't see the later yesterday's posts. Thank you all for your ideas, will look into the verruca socks for another time and keep them beside me "just in case".

I bought a Mikki Dog Boot this morning from pet shop (we don't have a Pets at Home), the one for Labrador was far too small so had to buy the extra large one and that was difficult to get on as the bandage is so big!

I liked the idea of the sock and cling film, if it is raining will probably do that.

The poo bag idea I used this morning with a plastic carrier bag over the top, but it rattled rather :)

I cannot change the dressing as vet wants to do it on Monday!

Great ideas from you all and very much appreciated.