Kibble feeders

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: Kibble feeders

[quote author=MontysMum link=topic=7899.msg111341#msg111341 date=1411207495]
    Mine was long and lanky on Burns and his poo wasn't thick enough and he was very windy. He also didn't put on weight for two weeks. He was exactly a stone at 12 weeks.....I've now slowly changed him over to Arden Large Puppy and he has really filled out and put on a stone in two weeks. Now I'm worried, I am only feeding the lower guidelines amount aswell so now don't know what to do as I preferred him svelt rather than stocky. I can't see his ribs anymore either. He doesn't look chubby though.

It's a minefield with kibble. I'm not sure what to do next.....I may go back to Burns but try the other flavour but was concerned he wasn't putting on weight with only one 30 min walk a day :-\

Any advice anyone?
    [/quote]

You may find that his gaining or not gaining weight, being lanky, then stocky, is just a result of him growing and changing as he is still young. At around 12-16 weeks I find puppies do tend to look more leggy than anything else as they've had a growth spurt and the rest of their body has caught up yet!

I would just settle for a food where he looks healthy eg. good coat, eyes, ears etc and isn't losing weight, and his poo is nice and firm - you should be able to pick it up with it leaving hardly a mark if it was on concrete; described as 'kickable' by my vet friend!

You may find he will 'even out' as he gets older and bigger. Their different body parts don't grow all at the same time.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Don't beat yourself up about it.
    I took about 9 months of humming and hawing and researching before I decided what to change to.
    And then I changed again :p
    I think the best advice of "spend what you can afford to get the best possible" and "if your dog is a good shape, is happy and has good firm poo" is about the best anyone can really say.

3. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

Thanks everyone, sorry to go off post a bit. My pup also has itchy skin, despite having a dose of Yumega Plus everyday (coat is super shiny now and a bit less itchy). Someone advised it may be the rice in the food so am going to call Arden and ask if he can be changed over to the salmon and potato but need to check with them on feeding amounts.

4. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=7899.msg111347#msg111347 date=1411208615]
    Don't beat yourself up
    I think the best advice of "spend what you can afford to get the best possible" and "if your dog is a good shape, is happy and has good firm poo" is about the best anyone can really say.
    [/quote]

That's exactly what my vet said!
    I was concerned bailey was long and lanky and thin! But the advantage if buying my pet food from vet is the nurse always says hello and told me it was a growth spurt, also to give recommended and what you think, ie when all kids home bailey very energetic so up the feed!

I have to say I was totally blasé reg the children, to the point that my mother said they have to be dead for me to worry.......
    A labrador pup on the hand.......... I'll blame what I'm always blaming........it's the menopause (waving both hands)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D
    With you there!

6. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Hi all

We have decided on........Simpsons premium 80/20/0 we have ordered a trial bag and just waiting for it to be delivered.

Thanks for all the tips

Xx

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good choice ;)
    Hope it goes well for you.

8. Holliesmum

Hollie has now been on Simpsons 80/20 for over a week and loves it.

Her poo frequency has dropped from 3 to 2

My only concern is her afternoon poo is runny her morning one is fine!!

Should I be concerned and start to search for different food or give her a bit longer and see how she goes

Thanks
    Esther

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Is it ALL runny or just the second half. Because that sometimes indicates overfeeding.
    I would give it a bit longer in any event

10. Holliesmum

Just the second half!!!

She is on 85g (recommended 90g) 3xday and has put on half a kilo this week.

Will leave her on that another week and see what happens

Thanks again

11. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=7899.msg114422#msg114422 date=1412288720]
    Just the second half!!!

She is on 85g (recommended 90g) 3xday and has put on half a kilo this week.

Will leave her on that another week and see what happens

Thanks again
    [/quote]

Hi Esther

I hope Hollie gets on with the Simpsons but if you have to change it is worth having a look here. http://www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/

It is a fabulous company that produces excellent quality kibble, in various mixes. All are grain free and hypoallergenic. Albert, 8 months has been on their Countryside Mix (70/30) for about 6 weeks now and looks superb even if I do say so myself! He has never had a loose stool (ever). He had very flaky itchy skin, which since the changeover, together with Yumega plus, and evening primrose 1000mg tabs has gone completely and his coat is super soft and shiny. The owners are so helpful, and will give advice as to which is the best mix for your dog either by phone, or on their very popular facebook page. I am so pleased with it, and Albert loves it. It's definitely worth you having a look.

Good luck

Jan

12. Holliesmum

So we have had 2 full days on only 75g x3 (90g recommended) with the rest for training.

her poo had hardened until this afternoon where it was half and half.

she has been a devil dog for 1 1/2 days, not settling, constantly searching for food where she never did that before, didn't sleep very well overnight when she has gone all night since we have had her,,she had a poo last night which is totally out of character can only think that's due to the high amounts of treats, her biting increased 4 fold.

We are going to try skinners and just hope to god this suits her

13. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=7899.msg114897#msg114897 date=1412517489]

We are going to try skinners and just hope to god this suits her

[/quote]

Bouncer has been on Skinners from the off. I use Skinners Puppy Lamb & Rice. I rate it highly.

http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/store/all-dogs/puppy-lamb-rice/

edit - & i have found Skinners customer service excellent.

14. Holliesmum

Is there much difference between the field and trial and the pet dog range???

15. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=Holliesmum link=topic=7899.msg114945#msg114945 date=1412531908]
    Is there much difference between the field and trial and the pet dog range???
    [/quote]

From what I understand the Field stuff has much more calories as a working dog does just that, works.