Kong safety

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karen, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well, Poppy is just enjoying her first-ever Kong! With peanut butter. She LOVES it.

My question - is it safe to leave a dog alone with a Kong? I saw a horrible photo somewhere of a dog with a Kong stuck in its mouth...

charlie likes this.
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I do, all the time. But if I were worried, I wouldn't. When Willow was a young pup, she would shove her lower jaw into them, and I could see how the problems could potentially occur. But as she grew up, she developed a less ridiculous technique, so I don't worry any more. I'd say, watch her over a good long period and see if her technique gives you cause for concern.

Karen likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Glad you enjoyed it Poppy :) I gave Hattie a Kong a while ago she didn't have the slightest clue what to do with it so Charlie pinched it ate the contents plus his own :D I don't use them very often, I must dig them out! x

Karen and drjs@5 like this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lucky Poppy!

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Felt a bit guilty because OH is away this week, so Pops is on her own while I'm at work... She gets taken out by two separate dog walkers during the day, but is noticeably more cuddly with me in the evenings and demanding of my attention. I thought she deserved a little treat!

Good idea Fiona, I'll give her a couple of kongs and watch her over the weekend.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Harley did the same thing - she would get them stuck on her lower jaw, I think it is a combo of a gutsy pup, sharp puppy teeth and her petite face. But now she is also more controlled and as ridiculously over excited by the thought of a treat.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We leave Obi with Kongs without any troubles :)

Congratulations Poppy on your new Kongs!!!

Karen likes this.
  8. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

If Molly didn't get her daily Kong from the freezer each morning, there'd be ructions in this house :eek:

Jyssica likes this.
  9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

And in this house too if I went out without leaving the Kongs! Tuppence almost encourages me to go so that they can have Kongs (and listen to the radio!).

SwampDonkey, MF and Cath like this.
  10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Fred and Annie love their kongs. They have one while watching tv at night, so we can have our treats with no begging from them :)

11. MF

MF Registered Users

I understand that whatever you're leaving them with to lick mustn't allow a suction. So best there is a hole on either end so the tongue won't get stuck from an accidental suction. Also if it does get lodged in your dog's mouth, two holes means he can breath - heard a vet talk about a dog who came in with a ball stuck in its throat. Thankfully had the hole through it so it could breath.

Also the material must be high quality. I saw a horrible photo of dog who got its tongue stuck where the Kong-copy thing broke. No one at home. When they got home, took dog to vet. Too late to save the tongue.

Snowie was never interested in the kong - one of the most expensive single items I've bought for him!! It sits on his shelf, too expensive to throw out! He prefers a hoof with a smear of butter to lick and get nice and moist and thereafter he chews it.

Sorry for the horror stories!

edzbird and Karen like this.