Kong safety

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by M1n, Nov 15, 2021.

1. M1n

M1n Registered Users

Hi all, I’ve been giving my pup frozen kongs since I brought him home, in fact they’re the only chews I feel confident leaving him with in his crate when I have to leave him unattended for short periods to shower etc but I read recently that they can be dangerous as the pup/dog can get their tongue stuck in them if the air hole at the top gets blocked with the food causing suction. Is this a common issue? After a disaster trying to prepare the recent batch with environmentally aware paper straws to keep the air hole clear I’m wondering if I’m just being paranoid! Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this? I appreciate leaving a chew with a dog can never be 100% safe but thought kongs were one of the safest. Thanks.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I have only heard of this happening with Kong balls which had only one hole, which causes suction.

M1n likes this.
  3. Ivypup

Ivypup Registered Users

Don't worry, as long as you're using a Kong with holes both ends there isn't a problem. Why are you using straws? I just shove raw food, sardines or anything else lying around and freeze. :)

M1n likes this.
  4. M1n

M1n Registered Users

Thanks for your replies, think I will scrap the straws and just go back to filling them normally, I have a tendency to overthink things!

Ivypup likes this.