Lab ate an ice lolly stick whole

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by FB, Jul 10, 2017.

1. FB

FB Registered Users

Hi there,
    I'm new to here but thought some fellow lab owners may be able to offer some reassurance, or otherwise, after my 7yo lab scoffed a 4.5" ice lolly stick whole, seemingly without chewing at all. I called the vet immediately who said to leave him as he wasn't distressed and was a big dog so would "probably be fine". That was Wednesday, it's now Monday and still no sign of the stick coming out the other end. He seems happy in himself, eating and toileting as normal but I can't stop worrying after reading horror stories on the web of perforated guts etc. He is a bit of a walking dustbin but has never eaten something that wasn't food before.
    Thank you,
    FB

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi FB. O think Rachael @Oberon posted just this morning about a previous dog of hers eating a cocktail stick- came out in one piece.
    And Tatze @Boogie is a champion harness eater.
    As long as he is eating and drinking and pooing as normal and he isn't distressed then chances are he will be fine, but any of the above I would talk to your vet again.
    They really are dustbin our labs.
    Sadly pups do come a cropper sometimes, older dogs too, so don't be complacent and keep in touch with your vet for any changes in your boy.
    Good luck. And patience too. Can take several days.

3. FB

FB Registered Users

Thank you very much Jacqui, it looks like it will just be a waiting game then. Feeling very guilty and stupid. Will definitely be more vigilant in future.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If you google "my dog ate a....

...ice lolly stick... [UK]
    ...popsicle stick... [USA]
    ...paddle pop stick..." [Australia]

you'll see that your dog is far from alone.

Most likely it will emerge from his rear end at some point. Might take a week or two, so have patience and try not to stress.

When my dog ate the toothpick/cocktail stick my vet said that objects of that shape generally pass ok as the gut kind of moves away and protects itself from pokey/spikey objects. He said the worst objects to swallow were round (like balls) as the gut can constrict around them.

5. FB

FB Registered Users

Thanks Rachael, I'm trying not to be an over anxious mother! However looking at the same type of lolly stick (I went and bought another to see what it was he had actually eaten), 4.5" seems very long! Admittedly in it's favour it is not spikey like a toothpick or cocktail stick. Will keep monitoring him closely and bulking up his food with extra rice. He's not complaining about that!

6. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

My Axel swallowed a stick a few months ago, it was about 5 inches long and an inch wide. He threw it up. We didn't even know he had eaten it until he threw it up one morning. The waiting game sucks! I just finished waiting for Axel to throw up my bra :computerrage: good luck! Im sure it will work its way out, one way or the other. Just keep an eye out for not being able to keep food down, not wanting to eat, etc.

FB likes this.
  7. FB

FB Registered Users

Day 9, plenty food going in and out, still no stick!

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

Hope you see it again soon! Lucky once threw up half a wooden kebab skewer, about 10cm long, it had hair wrapped around it so I think it might have been in his stomach for a while.

FB likes this.
  9. FB

FB Registered Users

Jings! What are these guys like?! My dog has never been too bad. While he hasn't met an item of food he doesn't like he's never shown any inclination to eat things that are not food. The funniest thing he did when he was small was chew the corner off of book. Wouldn't have been nearly so amusing if it hadn't been the "How to Have the Perfect Puppy" book! :cwl:

edzbird likes this.
  10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

My Malamute chewed the cover of my Natural History of Dogs. It explained how they were close to wolves and he felt we should not know that.

kateincornwall, FB and drjs@5 like this.
  11. Sue Vernon

Sue Vernon Registered Users

My puppy got at the Labrador puppy book when the postman delivered it
    Chomped that complete with envelope.
    This week half a flip flop and he pinched the book I was reading and went chasing down the garden like a lunatic. Shredded paper all over the place.
    I honestly think sometimes pacman has moved in

Lolo, Leanne82, FB and 2 others like this.
  12. FB

FB Registered Users

For those who may interested, and for any one else in a similar position in the future, I am delighted to announce the ice lolly stick was pooped out this morning, 2 weeks later, intact and looking exactly as it did when it went in, other than a bit smellier and greener. One very relieved owner here!
    Thank you to everyone who reassured me and let me know I wasn't alone!
    FB

Penray97, drjs@5, lucky_dog and 7 others like this.
  13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Glad everything's ok :)

FB likes this.
  14. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hurrah! :poop::chuckle:

FB likes this.
  15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

:clap:

FB likes this.
  16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Excellent to hear!!

FB likes this.
  17. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

That must be a huge relief!:poop:

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Phew!!! What relief!...Licking the last bit of ice-cream of your next magnum might not be the same again....:D:D

drjs@5 likes this.
  19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

YES!! x :)

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yay!!:dogpoo: