Lab Colours VS Temperament

Discussion in 'Behavioural science and dog training philosophy' started by IanT, Oct 29, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It is an interesting article! Although....he misses out the bit where the fox red colour came to an end in working line dogs and was revived from show lines....and the Chocolate gene goes all the way back to the very first foundation dogs of the modern Labrador. It didn't just "appear" in the 1930s, Chocolate dogs are recorded well before then, I believe.

I'll just add a caveat that I looked this up well over a year ago now, and I'm recalling these points (I haven't checked my notes again).

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

From articles I've read 2 "liver" coloured puppies were born in 1892 at the earl of Buccleuch's kennels, probably sired by Buccleuch Avon, the sire of many dogs that are chocolate or carry the chocolate gene.

I also read somewhere that breeders used to cull the chocolate puppies in a litter as they were "undesirable", but I can't find where I read that.

3. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

I asked for a fox-red boy for my next pup, but I was told I can only ask for black, yellow or choccy - if I ask for yellow I may get a fox red.

:)

4. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

Just read this with interest as since becoming a lab owner I've heard fox reds are aggressive and chocolates harder to train. Opinions about yellow and black seem to be similar though (lovely dogs).

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've had 2 yellow girls and a chocolate girl and have to say there has been no difference in trainability or temperament :)

Cath likes this.
  6. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I don't think anyone has told the dogs what colour they are. I have always had black Labs and my niece yellow and they have all been lovely trainable dogs.

MaccieD and Rosie like this.
  7. IanT

IanT Registered Users

Hi Team - completely forgot i wrote this last year - thought i would give you an update.

Billy has come along leaps and bounds - still very very timid & barky with people - however its more to do with him challenging him "you know the type - walk straight up, comments on how good and jams their into his face = growls and backing away' instead of of waiting for him to step forward and engage.
    Still a little wary of men but will follow them when on the lead.

Will give you an update next week when his sister arrives.

UncleBob and Beanwood like this.
  8. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Thanks for the update :) Hope all goes well next week.

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Great update! Sounds like he is doing really well, look forward to the update when his sister arrives...are you keeping her or is it just a visit? oh..photos pretty please! :)