Lab going wild after morning feeding

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by zorbas, Mar 25, 2020.

1. zorbas

zorbas Registered Users

Hello, my 23 month lab which I have had for only a month goes wild after morning feeding. He exercises daily and train. My question is if it is normal and if with training we could contain it?
    Thank you

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

This will be what he has been used to doing and could be because he has been bored and wants attention.

You could try feeding him his breakfast in kongs to help slow it down and keeps him entertained for longer or make sure you are ready to go into training mode or a walk once he has eaten.
    You will definitely be able to contain it, it is just a case of re-training him.

Luna is now 9 1/2 months and usually wakes me about 6, we get up and straight out for a wee walk so she can do her business. When we come home she usually chews on her antler while I have my breakfast and get some bits done. She can usually tell when it is 7 and that its her breakfast time. If she still has some energy I usually play tug or fetch with her in the hall before I go off to work.

I am now working from home and she has been wondering around downstairs but has now lay down and either playing with a toy or gone to sleep.

3. zorbas

zorbas Registered Users

Thank you very insightful

4. TEE

TEE Registered Users

I would stop the breakfast routine and instead have the dog work for the food through training. Either through walk obedience, retrieving or structured play. Whatever you prefer and fits your life. This will help in your overall relationship with your dog too. When done retain a few kibbles to then reward the dog settling in his spot. good luck

zorbas likes this.