Lab leash biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Teddie Bear, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Teddie Bear

Teddie Bear Registered Users

Greetings looks like a wonderful information filled site. I have an eight month old female American Black Lab. Highly athletic, energetic, gets plenty of exercise and has most of the foundational training pretty well established. However, going on a loose leash walk turns into a battle within a couple hundred yards. Any significant distraction, i.e. leaf blowers by birds, other dogs, etc. triggers her to go into severe leash, biting. I have tried slip leashes, harness with shoulder clip and now on gentle leader, which appears to have helped with mitigating the biting. When she’s off leash, she is excellent at heel, come Stay sit and retrieve. Is this just a young puppy phase that some of you may have experienced and they eventually grow out of it or will it be a long-term challenge?

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi, I think its just immaturity and lack of impulse control. Lots of new stimulating sounds and smells that send a young dog a bit over the top. Hang in the, be consistent and it should settle.

3. Teddie Bear

Teddie Bear Registered Users

Thanks so much....I think you're right on....today was a 2 mile walk using the gentle leader and she was almost perfect for an 8-month old!!

Edp likes this.