Lab puppy house training

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by louwho, Mar 5, 2019.

1. louwho

louwho Registered Users

Hi All,
    I'm new to the forum and have been the owner of a lovely black lab pup for a week now. She has settled really well and is responding brilliantly to simple commands. I know it's early days but despite taking her out every 15-30 mins ( and on waking and after meals) for wees and poos she spends 5-10 minutes sniffing the ground and then comes back in and wees and poos on the kitchen floor. I'm not engaging in conversation with her , i'm just repeating 'wee wee' when outside. Grateful for any suggestions? She seems to be a very quick learner in all other areas!
    Cheers
    Louwho

2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my12 month old pup Isla.

We had the same with Isla,i would say keep doing what your doing and your girl will understand eventually,one day it just"clicked"with her and from them on no more accidents

3. Sarge Brown

Sarge Brown Registered Users

Hi Louwho,

It sounds like you are doing everything right. But, if you are still struggling here is the method of training I used for every one of my dogs. I kept a lead on them while in the house, attached to me, while puppy was out of crate. Like you, I take them out on a regular schedule (though mine was a good bit longer than 15-30 minutes, unless puppy is showing signs of needing to potty), as well as after eating playing or napping. On “outdoor” breaks I go to exactly the same spot each time. Puppy can circle and sniff, but only as far as leash extends. No playing with me and I don’t engage with puppy except for his potty cue. If no action in 5 mins or so, back inside. By keeping the leash on her and attached to me, I can scoop her up quickly if an accident is about to happen or in progress. I set him down outside in exactly the same spot and repeat the cue, in our case “ do your business”. If you are crating, make sure her “room” isn’t too big, so she doen’t potty in there. I also let my puppy use another but identical crate next to my bed for sleeping at night. I set the clock for three or four hours after bed, and thus I got puppy outside to her spot before she woke up with urgent need. Most of my puppies responded very quickly to this training. But if your baby has only been with you a week or two, be patient. He will be doing his job out side soon and the potty training long behind you.

Good luck with your beautiful pup.