Lab Reacting To Dogs On TV

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Ski-Patroller, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper is not reactive to other (real) dogs but she is to dogs on TV. Also to some degree dogs that she hears or smells outside our house, when she can't see them.

It is sort of weird, since she is pretty much always happy to meet another dog in the real world, and always behaves in a reasonable though sometimes boisterous manner. The TV thing is a nuisance since she runs up to the screen and barks while nosing it.

EmmaHughes likes this.
  2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Ski-Patroller my dog reacts to dogs on the TV, and is always ready to take on lions.. My other Lab did not show any interest--she realised they were "paper tigers".

Why not tape a show with dogs in it or project images of photos of dogs? Play it back for a short periods while you do some desensitisation training. I would think BAT training would be the way to go because, as you have the remote, you can control the 'decoy'.

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

You can do some LAT with dogs on the TV... I think there is a whole thread on Look At That with videos etc, in the forum.

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Our other Lab, Tilly ignores TV also. Ginger before her did to. I understand that prior to HD TV dogs could not really see a picture on a TV screen though that many only be in North America where we use NTSC and not PAL Standards.

I had not thought of desensitization training. I'll look into it.