Lab went missing...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Master Bowie, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Master Bowie

Master Bowie Registered Users

Hi lab owners/lovers,

I thought I'd share a story that just happened to us when I took Bowie for a walk along the creek with me this morning. As I was walking back home, a girl stopped me and asked if I had seen her dog, a golden lab/retriever, called Chloe. She had been calling and looking for her but to no success. Chloe had been swimming in the creek (which was apparently normal for her) but this time she must have lost sight of her owner and vice versa. We spent over 30 minutes helping her finding Chloe, tracing the creek and scouring the vicinity, with no success. I could feel and see the worry, guilt, fear and stress on her face (which I would be the same too!). Chloe's microchipped but she has no dog tag.

Fortunately, someone found Chloe wandering in the town and took her to the local vet - she must have tried to find her owner and gone back to where they parked. Lucky for everyone and Chloe that this story has a happy ending. Chloe could have been bitten by a snake or got hit by a car (God forbid!!). It certainly reminded me not to be complacent with letting Bowie wandering off leash just because he's familiar with the environment. Also the importance of dog training, esp. the recall command. And I'm definitely going to order the dog tag with my phone number engraved on it.

2. MF

MF Registered Users

I can’t stress the importance of a dog tag. I’ve heard of dogs landing up in faraway shelters, which could’ve been prevented if a phone number was on the dog. You can also get a collar with your phone number embroidered into the fabric - our SPCA sells customized collars like this.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

If you're often in brush-type terrain, I'd recommend something either like @MF suggests or an Indigo collar tag (http://www.indigocollartags.com/) as dangling tags are prone to being ripped off.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

They can often get back to where you left your car. If you have to leave put a blanket or jacket of yours down for the dog to return to. You would probably need to put a sign up as someone might take them for garbage and move them. My OH told me this is what hunters do as coon hounds in particular can range very far away and not be back by morning. It's also suggested on a couple of lost pets groups local to me.

Master Bowie likes this.
  5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

It is the law in the UK that all dogs must wear a dog tag.

6. Master Bowie

Master Bowie Registered Users

In Australia (Victoria state), dogs/cats must be microchipped and registered to the city council where you live. You'll then get an ID tag which the dog/cat should wear esp. when away from your property. Having an additional dog tag with the pet's name and pet owner's number engraved is optional. Please correct me if I'm wrong :) But I think, for everyone's and for the pet's sake, it's also important to have the pet name and owner's contact details :)

7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

The Law and Microchipping - Please note that as of the 6th April 2016, every dog must be microchipped by the keeper of that dog in the UK and registered on one of the authorised commercial databases as well as wearing a dog tag in public. Please see our "The Law on Microchipping Your Dog" article for more details.

In the UK, the Control of Dogs Order 1992 states that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but we would recommend this).

You can be fined up to £5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.

You do not have to put your dogs name on the tag, this is optional. Unfortunately dog theft is a real danger and if the thief knows the name of your dog this may help them pass on the dog to the unsuspecting new owners because it appears they know the dog because the dog responds to their name. It is recommend, you do not put your dogs name on the tag.

8. revathi india

revathi india Registered Users

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. Had a female lab "sharry" .she is 9 months old. While taking her for walk, she got trapped by stray dogs and ran away and is missing from that time. Our first pet, we r searching from last 2 days but unsuccessful. Worried about her.Request you to please share ways to get her back home. Have visited nearby shelter homes and lodge complaint. Feeling bad staying at home.

9. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

We had an engraved plate with his name and phone number riveted to his collar. Works a treat.