Lab with his own mind!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Janet Louise, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Janet Louise

Janet Louise Registered Users

Hi, I have a beautiful 10 month old male black lab. He is from a well-regarded pedigree line on both sides. As a young pup he was really responsive at Puppy-training, displaying excellent recall and learning to leave, wait etc. He was brilliant at loose-lead walking, too. Between 4 and 9 months I could have him off the lead on the beach, by the river etc and he was so so happy, coming when called. He loved all other dogs and played beautifully. Now it’s all gone out the window. He is big and strong and I’m a slightly built 5 ft female. I simply cannot hold him on a lead or even a harness. After several near-misses of being pulled along, I have put him in a Halti which allows me to have control but he hates it. Every walk is a battle of wills as he tries to fight against it. I’ve tried so hard to reward good behaviour but he’s just not listening. I’m trying to have the Halti lead loose so he gets the idea that if he trots along beside me there’s no tension, and I’m giving him treats and praise when he gets it right. Before the Halti I tried many different types of harness including a front and back ring, and a Mekuti balance but nothing worked. Any advice from those who have had similar problems?

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Janet Louise

I suggest you not use the halti--he hates it so walking is not going to be a joy for him.

Practise loose lead walking in back garden. Reward desirable loose lead walking. Then try the loose lead walking in front garden. If he pulls, then start walking in opposite direction. When the lead is loose give a treat. Next, find a or school yard or park that is devoid of all people and dogs (pick a time of day when everyone is at work) or make sure that other people and dogs are tiny dots on the horizon. Practise loose lead walking. If need be walk around in large anti-clockwise circles (5m diameter) so that the environment becomes less interesting--been there done that. Change direction when he pulls and reward with a treat when lead is loose.

Use a harness with front attaching ring. If need be attach a lead with clips at both ends--one to front ring and the other to ring on back. Lower your centre of gravity by bending your knees and use both hands on the lead.

The idea is that if he pulls, he is not going in that direction. Keep changing direction every time he pulls. And keep the environment boring. Dogs don't generalise well. He may have walked well in puppy class, but essentially you have to re-teach the dog to do that same exercise in new settings/different levels of distraction.

Aim for small steps of success. If he walks just 1 metre with loose lead, then reward it. Next aim for say 1.5 metres. Only increase distance when you have had reliable loose lead walking.

WillowA likes this.