Lab won’t stop getting in pool help!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by eddie fisher, May 26, 2019.

1. eddie fisher

eddie fisher Registered Users

I have a 5 month old full blood brown lab and is potty and cage trained my problem is when I let her out side she loves getting in our below ground pool and swim then she wants in the house sop and wet. I can’t leave her outside all day as she is tearing up my bag French doors wanting in but she all wet what can I do to train her not to get in the pool every time I let her outside?
    Thx in advance

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

She needs supervision. If you do not want her in the pool then don't allow her in! She's only a baby and needs to know and understand her boundaries, you can not expect her to understand your rules.

Edp likes this.
  3. Dallas

Dallas Registered Users

Put a fence around the pool?? My aunt had to put a fence around her’s, plus plexiglass on the back side of the fence, to keep her neighbor’s lab out of the pool.
    One of the perils of having a water loving breed, I’m afraid. Unfortunately, even putting a pool cover on may not help. I’ve known many Labs to chew through pool covers because they wanted in the water so badly.
    So, if you don’t want a fence around the pool, probably the next best option is going to be you taking your pup out on leash to go potty. Because, even if you teach her “leave it” when you’re out there with her, the minute you leave her out there unsupervised, she’s going to jump right in that pool. Unfortunately, impulse control is something that Labradors tend to have a hard time with, especially when it comes to water.

My 14 week old pup loves water, too. Which is why he’s on leash 24/7 when we go camping on the weekends. Our lot is right next to a river, and he would jump right in and end up being swept away and drowning if he wasn’t kept on a leash.

4. eddie fisher

Thx so much for your answer I try and some what train her it’s not easy. At 6 months old I have read that’s time to train because of their brains not be developed enough at any younger age how do you feel? Also Petco here in my town on sundays you take you your dog pay to train they also said six months. But still there’s no pool at Petco And also thx in advance for any replies.
    Eddie fisher

Debs likes this.
  5. eddie fisher

Thx so much for your reply Fench won’t be an option for my my wife because of the way it would make her back yard look terrible so training I’ll try but I do agree they love water more than anything and I respect that agian thx

6. Jennifer and Perry

Jennifer and Perry Registered Users

Hello from Ottawa, Ontario. I am JM(Jennifer Marie) with Buddy our 2 year old lab rescue.

This is our first summer together and I am hoping for help. We have an inground salt water pool and prior to opening the pool Buddy decided that the pool cover was the perfect place to cool off after playing. Much to his dismay he must be towel dried before entering the house, it is not his favourite thing but he tolerates it;).

The problem is that our nice weather has just begun so now the pool is open but not ready for swimming. We keep a watchful eye on our Buddy when he is out to do his business. However, when I am ready to jump in the pool I am afraid he will follow.

I have researched water ramps online and the only serious option seems to be "dog on water ramp" I was wondering if anyone is this community has heard or knows of anyone who has heard of or had use of this product? It is apparently good for boating (its primary use) and good for pool use also.

Thank you in advance,
    Jm