Labrador acting depressed after returning from holiday

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Retief, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Retief

Retief Registered Users

Hi everyone,

This year me and my wife took our 7 month old lab for a vacation with us for about 4weeks... My wife parents house is close to the beach and there are 2 dogs billy and kumo already living there... Our Lab, Suki, made great friends with them and they played for hours on the beach or in the nature reserve every day... My father and mother in law fell in love with Suki and spoiled her rotten, we had such an awesome time with Suki, especially on the beach, she looooooved the beach!

Back home we live in a 3 bedroom house with a medium sized garden and swimming pool and Suki is the only pet we have...

Now heres the thing... Ever since we got back from the coast the dog has been very depressed, she sleeps all day and only gets up to eat, this is highly unusual for her, usually she cant sit still for 2 min..

It also looks like she is resenting me and my wife, she doesnt want to be touched or picked up by us... never lickes us... and will just turn her head the other way... she really seems very sad, and its making my wife even sader, can any1 please tell me whats going on, or has any1 else experienced this before?

Thank you for taking the time to read

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Maybe she is just exhausted after such a busy holiday? She will also be missing her doggie friends, but I am sure she will get back to being the loving and affectionate dog she was before, she is just adjusting. Unless of course she isn't well?

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We always find Lilly is a bit "flat" after holidays, or periods when we are looking after another dog, or even after my son goes back to Uni.
    In fact, she is a bit like that right now.
    Lilly is quite sensitive to moods and our behaviour - they pick up on a lot.

I would guess things will stabilise over the next week or so as things get back to "normal".

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When my daughter comes home for a week or so then goes again my girl is the same. I think it's all so exciting for them with lots going on that when it stops they catch up on sleep etc. Hopefully she will be back to normal in a few days. If she doesn't pick up again it might be worth getting her checked by the vets, but I do think it's just all the changes.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Could she be in pain from all the extra activity? I'd be tempted to speak to your vet.

6. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

How long has she been doing this/have you been back home? My dog Brogan would also do this after a particular friend of mine would visit. He wouldn't get up for his breakfast or morning walk and would just kind of avoid me. He made it very clear that he thought I'd made his Cian go away and I was a dirty, rotten scoundrel for doing so. It usually took him about three days to get over his hissy fit, then I'd be his best buddy again.

Four weeks is a long time for your pup to get used to having all those nice people and dogs around her, so maybe it will just take her longer to get used to the normal routine again?