Labrador anal glands

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jennifer S, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Jennifer S

Jennifer S Registered Users

Help please - my 3-year old Lab has suffered with blocked AG all his adult life. After trying a number of different dry foods he now eats raw plus veg and some fruit. But this has not been the answer. Vet says keep adding fibre - but which and how much? He weighs 30 kg, is fit and healthy and has lots of exercise (except when Storm Ciera hits!) However he does not drink much water so I add extra to his food. Anyone able to help?

2. BeautifulWar11

BeautifulWar11 Registered Users

I have the same problem, and my girl is 9 years old, she's had this problem all her life. The only thing that has helped (a little) is adding a tablespoon of pumpkin to each of her meals (for fiber) - she's about 70 lbs. She eats 3X a day. Oh, and she's on a prescription diet (Hill's z/d) now for her IBS and I think that helps a bit too. It doesn't completely eliminate the problem, but she can go longer in between trips to the Vet to get her glands expressed. I feel your pain, it's so stinky when she starts getting backed up and leaky, plus, my boy dog goes crazy sniffing at her butt when he starts to smell it and I'm constantly chasing him around the house telling him to get out of her butt! LOL!