Labrador Arthritis Flare Up

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by nickcx, Dec 13, 2019.

1. nickcx

nickcx Registered Users

Hey guys..hoping for a bit of advice. I have an 8..soon to be 9 year old lab, shes been diagnosed with athritis for almost 5 years - shes been kept on joint tablets & meta cam so ease the pain & aint imflammotary. 2 days ago she was playing with her brother.and shes upset her athritis again - Being a jumpy bouncy dog i think she overdid it, and she's been struggling a bit since. I'm hoping it's just a flare-up that will be gone within a week..she can still walk..but looks like shes walking with chop sticks. So my question..what's my best course of action here? I have read different things online. Some state COMPLETE rest, while others state rest..and 5-10 minute walk around the block on a lead. What should I do? Rest completely or still walk her a little so she doesnt stiffen up? She loves her daily walks over the feild but thats out of the question right now..should I walk her the way she is? I don't want to make it worse. I have doubled up her dose of Metacam & joint supplements for now so ease some pain, just need some advice on what you would do, in my situation? Thanks very much for any help you can give ;) Nick

2. Berna

Berna Registered Users

3. Lucy_sorbon

Lucy_sorbon Registered Users

Hi,
    my almost 12 years old lab has reumatoid arthritis. now he walks very badly, especially on hard surfaces, it is quite good on the grass. At home he is ok.
    I read the article and it is very beneficial. I follow all the measures, but I don't know when it will improve, the acute phase takes us more or less 3 weeks, he still has a bad time. he takes a dugs previcox each 3 days, gabapentin and almost all supplements / omega 3, fish oil, alavis triple blend, MSM, celadrin, he is on barf food.
    I would like to ask after what time the dog returned to normal life, no big trips, just walks outside, about half an hour.
    I am exhausted, I want to help him a lot.