Labrador Blood Blisters?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by LiveLaughLoves, Jan 20, 2020.

1. LiveLaughLoves

LiveLaughLoves Registered Users

Say hi to our Carter - he is 9 month old Chocolate lab. He is 78lbs and is a wonderful younger brother to his 10 year old brother.

At 5 months he had kennel cough (yes we vaccinated) and ended up with aspiration pneumonia - we almost lost him but hes doing great now... well - until now...

(only provided the above in case it was relevant)

We took him to the vet on Friday and he only had one blood blister - since then we have had 2 more show up. We will be going back today but thought I would reach out to this community to see if anyone else had seen this in their lab.

We don't know of any trauma or anything out of the ordinary - in diet or play that might have contributed...

i made my avatar a pic of him with the blood blisters as I could not attache an image.

If anyone has any experience with something that looked like this I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry to hear that your puppy has already been unwell a few times, that is rotten luck.

I don't have any personal experience of this I'm afraid, was your vet is able to help more when you saw them again?

Let us know how he gets along!

3. LiveLaughLoves

LiveLaughLoves Registered Users

***UPDATE - We are still waiting for pathology to confirm (yes it has gone that far) and hopefully should have the results in a day or two. Based on his symptoms and the blood-work they are pretty sure (and we are treating) for Juvenile Cellulitis. It is rarer in older puppies but our Carter is always against the odds. We took him back to the vet on Monday and they couldn't go do the biopsy so we scheduled it the next morning. That night Carter crashed hard. I thought he was going to die he was so lethargic - could not move - very sad. After the biopsy we left him at the vets all day where he took on his first dose of steroids and we continued with the antibiotics. They don't help the disease but we want to be proactive and avoid infection in his open sores. He is already like a different dog. He tires quickly but he does bomb around and tries to get his older brother Mousse to engage in play as well. I hope the pathology agrees with what everyone thinks it is and it is a great reminder not to neglect those little changes. It could have been a bite or a pinch but it was odd and we took him back right away and that hopefully saved him and his looks. If this isn't caught in time the muzzle and if it spreads around the eyes -they can be permanently scarred but the vet things all of Carter's hair will grow back to his handsome self. Give your pups an extra hug tonight. Nights like Monday night reminds us how quick things can happen and turn bad quickly.

4. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Oh no, that must have been dreadfully scary for you. I'm so pleased to hear that he seems happier now.

Do let us know how things progress, I have everything crossed that his improvements continue rapidly for you.