Labrador breeding advice

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Pendry99, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Pendry99

Pendry99 Registered Users

I currently am in the process of breeding my girl lab , she has had 2 meets so far and 3 ties in these meters once on Monday and again on Saturday where they tied twice , they are meeting again tomorrow would this be enough chance for pregnancy to happen or would it be suggested to have more . She stated bleeding on the 30 th of august so day 7 and 12 she tied with the male ?

2. Ivypup

Ivypup Registered Users

Hi, the best way to know when to mate is to progesterone test, otherwise you are guessing. My girl was ready to mate on day 16!

3. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I would certainly agree with Ivypup. You only need one mating shortly after ovulation based on your progesterone testing. If you have no idea when she ovulated, you will also have no idea when she is due to whelp which can be dangerous if she 'goes over'.
    Also, you need your CHV jab 7 days after mating and 7-10 days prior to whelping. You will have no idea when to give these which can be dangerous to the unborn pups.
    Research like this really should be done before you start breeding. You are responsible for a lot of potential little lives here.

Athena and Ivypup like this.