Labrador - Disorientated & Very Poorly

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Nic43, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Nic43

Nic43 Registered Users

At Christmas lots of friends & family bought our family lab treats. One day he had a treat and seemed fine. The next day - very weird. Dog couldnt walk, could hardly stand and was very disorientated. We rushed him to the vets (where on smelling lots of doggy smells - he perked up a bit) The vet checked all his limbs, said he seemed ok & send us away with some anti inflmmataries. On returning home, we went all droopy again. It was only when I lay next to him that I noticed his eyes were all droopy and unfocused. It was if he had been drugged and was on shut down. He had no D & V. Next day, bit better, following day, right as rain. Anyone else had anything similar happen or heard of anything?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds very strange, and quite worrying.
    I think you need to discuss this further with your vets.
    Give the vet the rest of the story.
    And keep a close eye on your lab. Maybe write things down or even video any strange behaviour.

Hope things are okay.
    And.....welcome to the forum

jac

3. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I would read the label from the treat and maybe take it to the vet's to see if that could be it.
    Also double check that it does not come from China. Unfortunately a lot of treats ARE made in China and dogs have had problems with several. I buy nothing made in China. If that is not it then lets hope it was a fluke and it is something he could have eaten without you seeing him do it? But I agree with Jacqui.....keep a close eye on his behavior.

charlie and Stacia like this.
  4. MF

MF Registered Users

Sorry to hear. Did your vet not suspect toxicity? Why did your vet give him anti-inflammatories?

The other thing it might be is that he was just plain tired from all the excitement? The first time it happened to Snowie we were so worried. He'd been at doggy daycare for the first time and that night his eyes were rolling into the back of his head (well, it looked that way), the rims were bloodshot, and he didn't move from his bed. This was so unusual, not the boisterous puppy we were used to. Phoned the daycare in a state only to be told he's probably tired!

When this happens on occasion, we try to remember that he might be tired when all we want to do is rush him to the vet. Like on Friday night our boy had a doggy friend come over. The next morning he woke up at his usual breakfast time but then went straight back to sleep, didn't ask for his morning walk. I put it down to the fact that he'd had a very late night (went to sleep five hours after his usual time). I must confess I did phone the vet! Although there was another complicating problem, but the tiredness she said was most likely that he'd been up so late the night before. Could this have been the case with your dog? That he was very tired -- cos you say lots of family and friends came over.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor dog, I hope he is better now. I agree with @Yvonne I don't buy any treats from China as they are causing sickness and sometimes death in dogs. My girl Hattie threw up a few times after a lovely patient at the Hospice gave her treats during our PAT visit. I now have a box of her own fish treats for patients to give her should they wish to. x