Labrador food aggression

Discussion in 'Labrador behaviour' started by mom2labs, Mar 26, 2020.

1. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

Our 2 yr old lab is showing food aggression. We noticed this only a couple of times before when we had our other lab, but it wasn't often so we were not sure, until recently, he has food aggression and we have no idea how to fix it. The resources I find is more for resource guarding human to dog, not dog to dog. He is totally fine around any human it's only dogs, it is also only his actual meal times and a dental bone we give him. Help I have no idea who to even call for this. We feed our dogs separate, the puppy eats in his crate and our 2 yr old lab eats in kitchen where he always has. I'm so worried about this.

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

None of our Labs have ever been food aggressive, but if they were, I would just feed them separately. It is not uncommon, though Labs usually seem a little mellower than some other breeds. When we got Tilly years ago, the Breeder had one female that ruled the roost. She would go take a bite from all the other dogs bowls before they could eat. I didn't see it happen, but that's what the breeder told us.

3. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

Thanks, we do feed them separately but I just don't want it to get worse with even treats, as of now that is fine even if one falls on the floor and they both go for it he is fine. I think we will need to look for someone to help with it.
    I just noticed that you are from Portland Or, so are we, we live in Beaverton (Aloha), I thought most everyone on this forum was in another country.