Labrador food digestion

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by mistry girl, Oct 14, 2020.

1. mistry girl

mistry girl Registered Users

We have an 11 year old Male lab, who has been swopped from raw to kibble fed (grain free) in last few months. Now he has a distended stomach and after an ultra sound exam, vet says stomach is laying on wrong side as not digesting food properly..he's booked in to have bloods done next week, to see if anything else going on ,and I am just feeding small amounts of food in the meantime. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice gratefully received

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Was there a reason that you changed his food?

3. mistry girl

mistry girl Registered Users

We live in France, and getting a good selection of quality raw products is a challenge, when budget is to consider. I also consider the health implications of raw from factory farmed animals, and the meat that comes from animals killed in such fear, and also the antibiotic residues etc involved, and started to really wonder, even though its raw, is it of true dietary benefit to my dogs, given the way its produced. Also, my eldest dog in question was becoming a bit of a lazy eater, trying to swallow his chicken parts whole, for example, instead of crunching them down, so put us through a few frights, where we thought he was going to choke! My husband has never been a fan of raw in the first place, so he has constantly pressed to swop back to kibble, and then a friend of mine now markets this grain free kibble, with good quality products, high percentage meat from 'good sources' and good percentage of fruit and veg in it too, so thought we'd give it a try. Sorry for the long explanation, but wanted you to understand the reasoning behind changing. I know there has always been raw v kibble debates, and I changed from kibble to raw 6 years ago, as my research convinced me that was the healthier way to feed my dogs, a species appropriate diet, but now as my friend says, the meat isn't as healthy as it used to be, and kibble producers have had to up their game with how they are producing their product. Our 3 year old female us doing well on it at the moment, as she did on raw, but I'm certainly up for any views and advice on the subject from anyone with experience with labs and digestion issues. I've had labs for 35 years, and have not had this issue with one before. Thanks for reading..