Labrador Insemination

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Francis Iannotta, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Francis Iannotta

Francis Iannotta Registered Users

I've had the privilege of owning 9 precious Labradors over the course of 30 years.
    Currently, I have 2, a 3 yo Fox Red and a 9 yo yellow male.
    I've been deeply attached to all 9, however my 9 yo is especially dear to me.
    None of the previous 7 have lived beyond 11 years of age.
    I've been toying with the idea of extrating his semen and using it to impregnate a quality female, thus producing a reasonable facsimile of Adam.
    I don't know whether Adam's sperm is still viable. I'm also unaware of whether a breeder would help facilitate this pipedream.
    Responses appreciated!

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

What country are you in? I'm not sure that you can KC reg in the UK of you use artificial insemination, but you can check this.
    A repro vet would be able to take a sample to check his sperm quality though.
    Your stumbling block may be his health testing though. The DNA and eye checks are easy enough, but you may not get favourable hip and elbow scored form a 9 year old dog.

3. Francis Iannotta

Francis Iannotta Registered Users

Thank you for your response.
    Actually, AKC registration is not a high priority for me.
    I'd imagine that would be for anyone who acquires the litermates of this puppy.
    Adam is registered and has had his health checks done (OFA, etc).
    My females have had several litters over the years, some produced using artificial insemination.
    The offspring were 100% eligible for registration. Unless I'm extremely confused (always a possibllity), this shouldn't present a problem.
    Finding a cooperative breeder may however. I'm not anxious to use the Labrador down the street to accomplish this.