Labrador liver failure

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Country Joe, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Country Joe

Country Joe Registered Users

It is with an extremely heavy heart I type this.

Late last week, one of my 2 9 month old labs (black and yellow sisters, litter mates), experienced vomiting and diarrhea. She became very sluggish and I took her to the emergency room. Her blood sugar was extremely low and her liver function lab tests showed problems with her liver. It was discovered her liver wasn't producing enough clotting factors and she was bruising easily. The next day, she was basically comatose after a couple of plasma transfusions, but they didn't help. A few hours later she was in cardiac arrest and passed away.

We are looking for answers. The doctors point to a possible ingestion of a toxin of some sort. Mushrooms? Hickory nuts? Acorns? All 3 are in our yard and despite my efforts to scan for these a couple times a day, there's still a lot out there. My black lab, her sister, is fine, except she misses her sister terribly. My male puggle is fine as well.

We live in Connecticut and have decided to do an autopsy at the UConn Veterinary School. If anyone has ever experienced a tragedy like this and have more information, I'd like to know.
    Thanks.
    Joe

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for your loss - I hope the autopsy can provide some of the answers you're looking for.