Labrador night time toiletting

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jason Alcorn, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Jason Alcorn

Jason Alcorn Registered Users

Hello all,
    We have a 19 month old black lab, Nell. She is house trained, however, she gets up in the middle of the night for the toilet. Which is good as she asks for the toilet, but we don't get a full nights sleep. We have on occasion, so she can hold on. She goes to the toilet before bed. Any ideas on how we can get her to go through the night regularly?

Thanks in advance

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Where does she sleep, how does she wake you up ? She is more than able, so it has become a habit, so you might have to alter your response to being woken.

3. Jason Alcorn

Jason Alcorn Registered Users

Hi, thanks for the reply. She sleeps downstairs. She normally cry's then starts barking. When she's taken out and toileted, she goes back to sleep till the morning.

I have thought that it's a habit, but how to break it? I've also thought, is it because she wants to be with us.

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I'd go right back to puppy basics ie if she usually wakes you up at 3 am, set your alarm for 2.30, wake her up, take her out and back to bed. Do this for a couple of nights then try half an hour later each day.