Labrador not returning when being recalled from other dogs

Discussion in 'Information and Announcements' started by Margaret Atkinson, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Margaret Atkinson

Margaret Atkinson Registered Users

Our lovely 16 month old boy Alvin will not return when called back from running out to other dogs. His temperament is wonderful, friendly and affectionate but this is causing us many problems and anxiety for me taking him out on my own as I struggle to hold him on his lead when he sees other dogs. We have got Pippa’s Total Recall which is extremely useful but we cannot get to grips with this at all. Alvin is an entire Labrador and we prefer not to neuter him unless medical reasons call for it.

2. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi there, firstly you should re post your question and put it on the puppy thread, that way far more people will see it and be able to give you advice.

Our girl is 21 months now and finally is returning 9out of 10 times. It has been slow progress and hard work.We used a long line at the park and really tasty treats to lure her back. Also running in a different direction whilst making lots of playful cries to make us more interesting than other dogs.

You're boy is also an adolescent and this can be a challenging time. Persevere and you will get there.

Margaret Atkinson likes this.
  3. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

Other dogs are too much fun for my 9 month old too. However her recall is great to the whistle for everything else.... apart from an apple tree perhaps! I have noticed recently since she’s discovered how much fun the sea is or retrieving a ball from any water is she would rather this than other dogs, so I take a squeaky ball and this gets her attention by water. I guess it’s all a matter of motivation and what’s the most fun. Other dogs are obviously more fun than a tasty food reward in recall for Gwenni at the moment, even though a walk away from other dogs gets more than a typical recall.

Saffy/isla and Margaret Atkinson like this.
  4. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

Other dogs are obviously more fun than a tasty food reward in recall for Gwenni at the moment, even though a walk away from other dogs gets more than a typical recall.[/QUOTE]
    A walk away from other dogs gets more of a treat than typical recall.... that should have read sorry