Labrador pool problems

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Marcy H., Jun 16, 2021.

1. Marcy H.

Marcy H. Registered Users

Our black lab is 1 1/2 years old. She is extremely possessive of the pool. She attacks our 2 year old yellow lab if she gets in the pool. She sometimes acts like she is going to attack us if we are in the pool as well. Any suggestions?? We all want to enjoy the pool with out fear of Marlee...

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi Marcy H.

Teach her that she has to take turns in using the pool. She sits on house line tethered to something strong while the other Lab uses the pool. Alternatively, you hold the line. Initially don't make the period long she has to wait for the other dog to stop using the pool. Then you swap who has to wait. Keep doing it. So, that she learn that she will get to to use the pool as a result of sharing time in it. You may have to initially increase distance so that you keep her arousal level down. If she goes over threshold, then a brief time out. No punishment nor retribution. Be very calm. The houseline is used so that it will not catch on anything in the pool, and you will have something to hold when you need her to wait for her turn.

Separated both dogs wait outside the pool on leads while you briefly use the pool.

Let us know how you get on with the resource guarding issue.

3. Marcy H.

Thank you! I tried this method and it was successful! I will keep doing it until hopefully I don't have to anymore.

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  4. Marcy H.

Hi again Michael,
    Navigating on this sight is not an easy task... I posted another question last week but cannot find where it is or how to access it! Ugh!

Anyway, do you mind if I ask you a question? I'm going to ask :) As you know, Marlee loves the pool. Last week she's was in a lot and has been swimming around with her head under water a lot as she looks for her toys. She's not diving yet, but that is how our previous yellow lab got started (RIP Bella) diving and I know it won't be long for Marlee before she's snatching toys up from the bottom. She has gotten water in her ears and what seemed like an easy fix has now turned into full blown ear infection. Our mobile vet is coming by later to take a look at her. My question is can we prevent swimmer's ear for our dogs like we do for our kids? I would just drop a few of the Swimmer's Ear alcohol drops in the kids' ears and poof, problem solved. But I was hesitant to put them in Marlee's ears. I could not find a post anywhere that addressed this. Our daughter is a 4th year vet student at OSU here in Oklahoma and she said "ya" go ahead. Well, my confidence level in her recommendations isn't exactly real high yet. Do you have any experience with this? Do your labs get water in their ears?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. And since you are the only one that I can seem to contact...so sorry for that but fortunate for me :)

Thank you in advance!!
    Marcy

5. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi Marcy

On things such as your query, I follow the vet's advice. Many things that we can take, cannot be taken by dogs. So, I trust their knowledge and expertise.

I do know that structurally dogs' ears are different to human ears. That a frequent flapping of their ears necessitates a visit to the vet. Since Labradors have non-pricked ears they are prone to ear infections. And the vet has explained how to apply any medication to her ears. I have now exhausted my knowledge. So, I'm afraid I can't help.

Find a good vet and trust her advice on physiological matters.

Marcy H. likes this.