Labrador Puppies Home Alone - your thoughts

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Mar 20, 2014.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Labrador Puppies Home Alone - your thoughts

I think that this thread has thrown up some very useful information.

Those of you that work full-time are not actually leaving your dogs 'home alone' for the whole working week, but are going to great lengths to organise effective alternatives that fulfil your dogs' needs.

I think this is the key to success. And possibly beyond the means of some dog owners.

You are also spending additional time with new puppies, and going to some lengths to ensure that your puppies are introduced to being alone in a gradual and appropriate way.

Problems are likely to arise, I feel, for owners that don't plan like this in advance. But I still feel its important that we are here to help and support them.

I've roughed out a three part guide for the main site as a result of this thread

• [li]Combining full time work with a new puppy[/li]
      [li]Doggy Day Care Options[/li]
      [li]Should you buy a Labrador if you work full-time.[/li]

So I'd like to thank you all very much for your contributions and views. Please keep them coming, and let me know if there is anything in particular you want me to include in the above articles.

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I have always left Penny, ever since we first got her. My partner and I both work full time. I took four days off (as a long weekend) when we picked her up and then went straight back to work, as everything I had read at that point said that it was best to get your puppy used to being left ASAP if you were going to leave it at all. The start of school holidays or time off work is the worst time to introduce a new puppy as it gets used to having people around all the time and then all of a sudden it's on it's own.

When we first got Penny I was in a job where I was able to come home at lunchtimes so she wasn't left for a whole day all in one go. Now I'm in a job where that's not possible and she is left from 9-5 Monday to Friday. She has no problem with this whatsoever. We crate trained her from day one and now she knows our routine so well that she happily settles in the crate when it's time for us to go to work.
    We have a crate more suited to a Great Dane sized dog, and as some of you may be aware my Penny is tiny for a lab so she has plenty of space in there during the day. My eventual hope is that we will be able to let her have the run of the kitchen whilst we are out, but at the moment it's not possible, for various reasons.

I'm not keen on how long she gets left, and I would rather be there during the day for her, but I know she's ok and just snoozes the day away waiting for us to get back.

I think even if you are home all day or only work half days or only leave the dog for an hour or a so at a time, all dogs should be used to being left for longer periods because you never know when there might come a day where you need to leave the dog all day, and if they're not used to it, it can be very hard.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

There was a tv series on quite recently were they filmed dogs home alone and showed the owners.

I can't remember what it was called though sorry.

I have a security camera on the dog pen mainly so I can see what they get up to which I'm pleased to report is not a lot. They appear out of the kennel every so often, bark if it's because something has disturbed them, mooch about then go back in. They don't pace about worried or whine or howl or bark unnecessarily. Occasionally they attack their bed though but I think that's for fun. :(

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I kennelled my older dogs for many years, as do many keen gun dog trainers, and I think this can be a better option in some circumstances, than a crate or pen indoors.

It doesn't work well though, for an only dog. They tend to end up barking to keep themselves company :) Nor does it work well if the dogs can see passers-by, as they just end up with 'passer-by syndrome' (running the fence and yapping).

5. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=4970.msg62236#msg62236 date=1395326458]
    I have a security camera on the dog pen mainly so I can see what they get up to which I'm pleased to report is not a lot. They appear out of the kennel every so often, bark if it's because something has disturbed them, mooch about then go back in. They don't pace about worried or whine or howl or bark unnecessarily.[/quote]

The only proof that your dog is fine when you leave the house is to film it. If your not there you simply cannot know for sure. It does not matter if it is 1/2 hour or 5 hours.

However, in a kennel you can look out at them, incidentally my two do exactly what yours do ;)

Mine have no behavioural problems what so ever after being left alone for 4hrs at a time as pups while I was at work. Now its 9 hours and they are still fine.

People leave pups 'alone' when they goto bed every night. I see no difference between going to bed and going to work, an 8 week old pup does not know what bedtime is because it simply has not got a routine yet.

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=4970.msg62244#msg62244 date=1395327865]
    [quote author=Jen link=topic=4970.msg62236#msg62236 date=1395326458]

The only proof that your dog is fine when you leave the house is to film it. If your not there you simply cannot know for sure. It does not matter if it is 1/2 hour or 5 hours.

Mine have no behavioural problems what so ever after being left alone for 4hrs at a time as pups while I was at work. Now its 9 hours and they are still fine.

People leave pups 'alone' when they goto bed every night. I see no difference between going to bed and going to work, an 8 week old pup does not know what bedtime is because it simply has not got a routine yet.
    [/quote]

Do you film your dogs so that's how you know they are fine? 9 hours is a long day and then you go to bed for lets say 6 hours, that could be roughly 15 hours a day your dogs don't have your company. Going to work and then going to bed is quite different as far as I am concerned. I assume you have someone pop in to see to your dogs ???

7. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

No I don't need to I can see them in the kennel/run from my kitchen window.

Do you?

That's life for your average working man/woman.
    Half hour drive to work half hour home and an 8 hour day. However I did go home every lunchtime when I got the pup untill it was 4 months old and had people calling round when they could.

Only in the human mind not a pups both times the pup is being left alone while the human is doing something different. I know people will not like this but thats because your human and think differently ;)

A young 8+ week old pup being left in the kitchen while you go to bed is no different than being left in the kitchen when you go to work.......or the shops.......or to play golf etc

When the pup is older and has an established routine, and learns the triggers that precede going to work, going to bed, going to shops, going to play golf then it knows the difference.

Nope and I have no problem with it, my dogs are fit and healthy and have no behavioural problems. My dogs know what the routine is and I don't break it.

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I've heard people say that a puppy/dog should fit into your lifestyle. I think that means if your lifestyle is suitable for a dog to fit into.

Perhaps some people think a dog shoud fit into any lifestyle and you don't have to change your lifestyle for a dog.

I had a discussion about this with a member of my family! I pointed out if you get up 6 am every morning and go for a walk in all weathers then no you probably don't have to change your lifestyle to suit a dog but if you don't your in for a shock. ::)

I think as long as people understand the commitment they are undertaking, have a good routine that the puppy can settle into easily and take as much time as possible to do the important puppy training then they will make good owners. If unfortunately they have to work, as people have mentioned, there are options so puppy isn't alone all day. I think it's important people are made aware of these options some first time dog owners may not realise what's available. I'll be honest I'd never heard of doggy daycare / doggy creche before I joined the forum and I've had dogs for 18 years.

It's a fact of life people have to work. There will be excellent dog owners who work all day and there will be not so excellent dog owners who don't. ???

PS. Pippa can I ask why did you stop kennelling your dogs ?

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4970.msg62191#msg62191 date=1395317138]
    . I also don't know why owners use puppy pads or newspaper when leaving their dog, you are trying to train a puppy not to toilet in his crate/pen then leave the resources for it to do so sending mixed messages, this must, in my opinion delay house training.
    [/quote]

I think it is cruel to leave a small puppy in a crate for longer than they can reasonably hold on. Charlie's limit was about 30 minutes when we got him. So the crate/pen/newspaper routine was necessary if I even wanted to go to Waitrose/the dentist/pick someone up from the airport. This is hugely preferable than stressing a pup to the point he pees in his crate.

10. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

I was raised in a family which had dogs as pets and was determined to own my own at the first suitable opportunity. However, it soon became apparent that as I travelled extensively this would be impractical and it was not until my mid 30’s that I was in a position to take on the responsibilities and afford the costs associated with dog ownership. I like to think my dog had a good life despite living in the climatic extremes of the Middle East, the mountains of Norway and urban Germany. It was also before the Pets Passport scheme when my dog was required to undergo 3 periods of quarantine each of 6 months and I needed a second mortgage to pay for the horrendous, transportation, kennel and veterinary costs!
    The point I would make is, that it is essential to do one’s homework before taking on the responsibility of a dog and unless a thorough and honest appraisal is made it will lead to heartache and problems for both owner and animal.. People’s circumstance change, animal characteristics differ depending on the breed and in my opinion it is not possible to lay down a set of hard and fast rules for Pet Ownership. Nowadays there are many ways where hard working couples wanting to own a dog can get support by employing such persons as walkers/sitters, details of which can be found on the internet. All that is needed is for potential owners thoroughly research the problem before making the commitment to own a dog which includes seeking advice on forums such as this and applying a bit of common sense. I remain convinced that leaving a young dog unattended for periods of 8 hours, whether caged or not is wrong.

Roger

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=4970.msg62256#msg62256 date=1395330975]
    Do you?

No I don't need to because I never leave my dogs for more than 4 hours.

A young 8+ week old pup being left in the kitchen while you go to bed is no different than being left in the kitchen when you go to work.......or the shops.......or to play golf etc

It is different because you have said you are out for 9 hours during the day then you of course go to bed so adding up the hours your dogs are alone. If I want to go out for more than 4 hours I make sure my dogs are looked after as I have said, if this can't be arranged I don't go out so always putting the welfare of my dogs first.

[/quote]

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=editor link=topic=4970.msg62223#msg62223 date=1395323548]

Problems are likely to arise, I feel, for owners that don't plan like this in advance. But I still feel its important that we are here to help and support them.

[/quote]

I agree. So, if a person has taken on a dog, and then finds out it shouldn't be left alone, and perhaps doesn't have the means to pay for support, it take some thinking about to be constructive.

I would NOT say immediately give your dog to a rescue.

I would also say it's not in the spirit of this forum to berate them, but thankfully that doesn't happen often.

I would say look at cheaper dog care options - Maggie's suggestion of walk my doggy is a good one.
    I might also say, not in a crate, not in a bathroom - use a bigger area with natural light, if possible looking out to a back garden (Charlie enjoys supervising his garden).
    Kennel outside or not? Not, I think. But depends.
    Kongs, safe toys, training a dog to relax alone.
    Lots of activity before being left.
    Radios on even for adult dogs.
    Lots of quality time when owner is at home.
    Sleeping in the owner's bedroom (although I struggle with this one)

What else?

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Getting friends or neighbours to pop in to let the dog out for toileting and social interation :)

Maybe arrange to drop your dog to someone that you know who is a dog owner then you could do the same in return for their dog :) x

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=4970.msg62268#msg62268 date=1395334031]
    Getting friends or neighbours to pop in to let the dog out for toileting and social interation :)

Maybe arrange to drop your dog to someone that you know who is a dog owner then you could do the same in return for their dog :) x
    [/quote]

Trading dog care would be excellent, yes.

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I think that something else that needs consideration is that if you do leave a puppy/young dog/ adult dog alone for many hours , you are going to have to come to terms with entertaining the dog during evenings after work , walks and play .
    I know of someone who left a Beagle puppy all day alone and wondered why the puppy wouldnt settle when they both came home from work , they expected it to make a fuss, have a feed , a 10 mins walk and then go to sleep again , like thats going to happen ::)

16. Rosamund

Rosamund Registered Users

Hi.
    I really need some advice and it is relevant to this subject.
    I live upstairs from a family who got a chihuahua puppy about two months ago they have gone to India for two months and left it behind. I met the son (20 ish) outside at night taking Caspar the puppy out to the loo. I haven't seen either of them about for a week or so and now my other neighbour is telling me that another family member has been coming in very sporadically to take Caspar out but that he is obviously incredibly desperate and going all over the stairs. My neighbour says the relative is literally letting him out then leaving and that he doesn't think it is every day. I used to hear the puppy barking a lot but haven't heard it for a while. I don't know what to do. Am I worrying over nothing because they've probably taken him somewhere else or could he be inside really suffering on his own? I have no proof of anything but am worried because the family who have gone away for two months were previously scared of dogs and then got this puppy and seemed a bit clueless. No one has a phone number for them. I WISH they'd told me they were going away as I could have looked after the puppy or taken him out or even just given them some advice. Argh. Please tell me what I should do. I swing between ringing the RSPCA and thinking its none of my business. I get on well with this family but have no contact details for them. Help!

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Rosamund link=topic=4970.msg62273#msg62273 date=1395334858]
    Hi.
    I really need some advice and it is relevant to this subject.
    . I swing between ringing the RSPCA and thinking its none of my business. I get on well with this family but have no contact details for them. Help!
    [/quote]

Ring the RSPCA.

18. Rosamund

Do think they'll come round? I suppose it's best to tell them is it even though I don't know for sure?

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Please , as Julie says , ring the RSPCA , you dont have to give your name .

20. Rosamund

Yeah- they'll know it was me for sure as I'm the only one who has a dog. They're really nice people but that doesn't make it any better for the dog..ok. I'll ring them. Agh.